PubMed RSS Feed - -Type I interferons link skin-associated dysbiotic commensal bacteria to pathogenic inflammation and angiogenesis in rosacea

rss

JCI Insight. 2023 Jan 12:e151846. doi: 10.1172/jci.insight.151846. Online ahead of print.

ABSTRACT

Rosacea is a common chronic inflammatory skin disease with a fluctuating course of excessive inflammation and apparent neovascularization. Microbial dysbiosis with high density of B. oleronius and increased activity of kallikrein 5, which cleaves cathelicidin antimicrobial peptide, are key pathogenic triggers in rosacea. However, how these events are linked to the disease remains unknown. Here, we show that type I interferons produced by plasmacytoid dendritic cells represent the pivotal link between dysbiosis, the aberrant immune response, and neovascularization. Compared to other commensal bacteria, B. oleronius is highly susceptible and preferentially killed by cathelicidin antimicrobial peptides leading to enhanced generation of complexes with bacterial DNA. These bacterial DNA-complexes but not DNA-complexes derived from host cells are required for cathelicidin-induced activation of plasmacytoid dendritic cells and type I interferon production. Moreover, kallikrein 5 cleaves cathelicidin into peptides with heightened DNA-binding and type I interferon-inducing capacities. In turn, excessive type I interferon expression drives neoangiogenesis via IL22 induction and upregulation of the IL22 receptor on endothelial cells. These findings unravel a novel pathomechanism, which directly links hallmarks of rosacea to the killing of dysbiotic commensal bacteria with induction of a pathogenic type I interferon-driven and IL22-mediated angiogenesis.

PMID:36633910 | DOI:10.1172/jci.insight.151846

{url} = URL to article