Sign in to follow this  
Brady Barrows

Soolantra Review by Brady Barrows

Mistica    0

I too love ZZ cream and like you, Brady, find it crucial to controlling my symptoms. In my case, I mix it with my compounded Niacinamide Gel, as the newer ZZ base didn't sit well on my face. It dried like poster paint.  Plus, I love my niacinamide gel and it offers it's own benefits. The two combined work well for me...... unless  ........ (like you), my gut function is not also under control.

I have followed your posts for years and I am convinced that whilst ZZ cream helps control symptoms in our faces, our primary issues come from the gut. Yet, treating the gut alone is not enough. ZZ cream seems to help restore harmony (to a point) in the face.

I am also convinced that my breakouts, when they occur have little or anything to do with demodex. Based on what you report, yours aren't either.

This begs the question yet again, why do medications such as ivermectin provide relief for some type 1's? Or even type 2's?  I feel the answer lies in how the medications interact with nerve cells in addition to relieving inflammation.

Menthol in the ZZ cream also interacts with one of the TRP family. From memory I think it is the TRPM8. I've no doubt ZZ provides antimicrobial effects (as well as mite control) as well, but then, so do commercial sulphur topicals and personally, I don't find them overly useful at all. ZZ is different.

I also feel that the base of Soolantra, being cetaphil lotion, is a poor choice and given lotions and potions in general fire up many faces, adding oil to the inferno, whilst trying to put out the fire, doesn't seem logical.

I am also not convinced that the massive outbreaks that some people report when starting ZZ cream is always due to a sudden demodex die off, as people in the ivermectin trial where I live reported no such thing.

There are reports of such outbreaks of P&P's from people who have been regular users of Pot, for example, or certain antidepressants and yet again, this suggests a change of firing in the nerve cells. Perhaps ZZ also modifies them?

Anyway, at the end of the day, ZZ cream seems the best topical for  your case and mine (in conjunction with the niacinamide gel) and I do hope that you can find some way to continue purchasing it. As you say, it is pricey, alas. Perhaps you could find a non oily gel with which to mix it?

You are a trooper testing different products over the years and providing photographic blogs.

On 8/12/2017 at 3:57 PM, Mistica said:

On that note, I have something to post in the Trigeminal  sensory malfunction theory thread.

Please do.