Sign in to follow this  
Admin

Fasting for Rosacea?

Would fasting improve rosacea? One recent report says, "Another study performed by Smith et al. in 2008 has shown the beneficial impact of caloric restriction on acne vulgaris lesions. This was explained by decreased sebum production, which thereby counterbalances one of the main factors in the pathogenesis of acne vulgaris.....Despite such important practical implications, this topic has been neglected in the existing scholarly literature, when it deserves further research. High-quality randomized controlled trials (RCTs) should be conducted to systematically explore and compare different fasting protocols, including the use of vegetables and fruits for caloric and metabolic manipulations." 

Wouldn't it be a novel idea to get 10K RRDi members together and each donate one dollar and offer $10K to one of our RRDi MAC members to conduct a clinical trial on this. 

End Notes

[1] Fasting and Its Impact on Skin Anatomy, Physiology, and Physiopathology: A Comprehensive Review of the Literature

Thank you admin for this post. Yes, This is true to some extent that fasting improves skin condition. In Indian culture, fasting is a religious thing that we devote to god and there are different types of fasting which we perform. Whole fasting in which you can have only water no food items and intermittent fasting in which you can have only one time meal and one more fasting in which you can have only fast related food items like fruits or veggies all day.

I have done all the different fasting techniques and I am always doing this and I have found a lot of times that when I fast my visible blood capillaries get constricted and my skin quality looks improved and the puffiness due to rosacea is reduced to some extent. Calories restriction and flushing out of toxins due to having only water in fasting are few things which we can count on but at the cellular and molecular level what happens inside the cell when we fast which contributes to the improvement of skin condition needs to be researched.