Sign in to follow this  
Admin

Fungus (Candida albicans)

Candida albicans (a fungus or yeast) and rosacea have been linked in a few research papers. One report said that a “patient was treated with intermittent pulses of itraconazole for the candidasis and doxycycline initially before being substituted with isotretinoin 6 months later for the rosacea.” and the outcome was that “the patient’s candidiasis responded well and has been in remission for 3 months while his rosacea continues to improve.”[1] Antibiotic resistance and bacterial overgrowth are other complications of long term antibiotic treatment for rosacea. Walter Last dubs this 'antibiotic syndrome.' [2] "The use of invasive devices and broad spectrum antibiotics has increased the rate of candidal superinfections." [3]

More info on bacterial overgrowth and antibiotic resistance.

One report said, "These findings suggest that S. salivarius K12 may inhibit the invasion process of C. albicans into the mucous surfaces or its adhesion to denture acrylic resins by mechanisms not associated with the antimicrobial bacteriocin activity. S. salivarius K12 may be useful as a probiotic as a protective tool for oral care especially with regards to candidiasis." [4]

Candida Albicans And Rosacea
Chronic Mucocutaneous Candidiasis (CMC) in Demodectic Rosacea

"CMC was diagnosed in our patient despite poor clinical features. Sequencing of the genome revealed STAT1GOF mutation. This mutation affects production of IL-17, an important cytokine in mucocutaneous defense against Candida. The association with mycobacterial adenitis is rare and continues to be poorly understood. The presence of atypical rosacea in this setting is suggestive of this entity. Antifungal therapy and prevention of complications are necessary to reduce the morbidity and mortality associated with this condition." [5] [bold added]

End Notes

[1] Autosomal Dominant Familial Chronic Mucocutaneous Candidiasis Associated with Acne Rosacea
HL Ee, HH Tan, SK Ng; Ann Acad Med Singapore 2005; 34:571-4 • Full Article

[2] CANDIDA and the ANTIBIOTIC SYNDROME
By Walter Last

[3] Candida sepsis following transcervical chorionic villi sampling.
A Paz, R Gonen, and I Potasman
Infectious Diseases, Bnai Zion Medical Center, Rappaport Faculty of Medicine, Technion, Hafa, Israel

[4] Effect of Streptococcus salivarius K12 on the in vitro growth of Candida albicans and its protective effect on oral candidiasis model.
Ishijima SA, Hayama K, Burton JP, Reid G, Okada M, Matsushita Y, Abe S.
Appl Environ Microbiol. 2012 Jan 20.

[5] Ann Dermatol Venereol. 2019 Oct 30;:
Chronic mucocutaneous candidiasis with STAT1 gain-of-function mutation associated with herpes virus and mycobacterial infections.
Baghad B, Benhsaien I, El Fatoiki FZ, Migaud M, Puel A, Chiheb S, Bousfiha AA, Ailal F

Hey Brady! I just did a couple of papers on Candida. It seems to me that I have found plenty of evidence linking Candida to rosacea symptoms. They don't specifically state that Candida causes rosacea but they do describe rashes that are the same description of rosacea rash. There are also many different species of Candida and I'm looking into the possibility that one or some of the Candida species lead to the rosacea symptoms expressed in both Candida rash and rosacea diagnosis.
Also an interesting side note that I discovered is that I had sepsis 2.5 years ago and was hospitalized in the ICU. The ICU is notorious for Candida infections with the depleted immune function, broken barriers and obviously the presence of microbes. As soon as the antibiotics ended from the sepsis my symptoms (not just rosacea but all candidiasis symptoms) appeared and have been not only unresponsive to medication but worsened by it. Candida albicans is also the most common cause of sepsis and is found in a cats mouth (I had deep cat bites). Just some food for thought on the larger picture and connecting the dots.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk