Question For Dr Goldberg Regarding LED Therapy

Matthew

Hi Dr Goldberg,

Thank you for joining the RRDi, Your expertise is much appreciated.

Can I please ask you the following questions.

1) In reference to an article from the Dermatology Times.

http://www.dermatologytimes.com/dermatolog...p;&pageID=1

The following is a quote

"Each technology does something a little different," Dr. Goldberg says. "The yellow LED and IPL both lessen redness”

There has been much debate within the Rosacea community about which wavelength and power level provides the most beneficial results for Rosacea.

Why is the yellow LED spectrum (around 590nm) affective for reducing redness? Would you be able to show us some supportive evidence or testimonials? I have seen a few studies regarding Red and Infrared LED’s that show evidence of a reduction of inflammation, but no studies conducted on yellow LED’s

2) Why does LED therapy lighten the skin tone? this has been something that many users have commented on. Does this pose any risk to us Rosaceans?

3) I have read that two factors which increase angiogenesis are Fibroblast Growth Factors (FGF) and Vaso-Endothelial Growth Factors (VEGF). In reference to the following NASA study on LED Wound healing in Humans,

http://www.lighttherapyproducts.com/LEDNasastudy.html

Figure 2 and Figure 3 show the change in VEGF and FGF levels respectively.

With reference to Figure 2, the ‘LED only’ curve shows a slight reduction in VEGF levels when compared with the ‘control’ curve (which I assume is good news to us) However, with reference to Figure 3, the ‘LED only’ curve is greater than the ‘control’ curve during the healing process and stays higher on exposure.

I would like to know your opinions on whether this stimulation of FGF could contribute to Angiogenesis and just your thoughts in general on LED therapy and angiogenesis.

Anxiously awaiting your reply with many thanks,

Matthew