Introduction - Robert T. Brodell, M.D.

• MAC Member

Another new member of the advisory board...Robert T. Brodell, M.D. I am in the private practice of Dermatology and Dermatopathology in Warren, Ohio, and serve on the volunteer faculty of Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine and Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine. I also serve on the committee that produces the AAD on-line rosacea website (rosacea-Net Workgroup) and serve as a director of the American Board of Dermatology. Looking forward to lending a hand!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Guests
Guest Jenny

Hi Dr Brodell

A somewhat delayed welcome but welcome none the less! I'm trying to catch up!

I see that the number of RRDi members and MAC members are steadily growing and this is very encouraging.

In a nutshell, what are your beliefs on possible causes/cures (controls) for Rosacea?

Where would you like to see research dollars being directed?

Many thanks for your time. It is truly appreciated.

Jenny

• MAC Member

Rosacea is related to blocked pores, infection/inflammation, and hormones. I never cease to be amazed how many patients can identify personal trigger factors....yet, I have never seen a patient who feels confident they can control rosacea by merely avoiding identifiable triggers. Ultimately, topical antibiotics, systemic antibiotics, and a variety of anti-inflammatory medications will be the mainstay of treatment of active disease. Vascular lesion laser remains the key to facial erythema not responsive to the above.

• 5 months later...
Rosacea is related to blocked pores, infection/inflammation, and hormones. I never cease to be amazed how many patients can identify personal trigger factors....yet, I have never seen a patient who feels confident they can control rosacea by merely avoiding identifiable triggers. Ultimately, topical antibiotics, systemic antibiotics, and a variety of anti-inflammatory medications will be the mainstay of treatment of active disease. Vascular lesion laser remains the key to facial erythema not responsive to the above.

Hi Dr. Brodell,

For the sake of science I can add to your hormonal and inflammatory theory. During pregnancy, my entire face flushed as well I developed asthma and sinusitis that cleared once my child was born. This pattern reemerged when I got pregnant with my son. That was 6 years ago.

Are you researching the role of hormones in rosacea? Perhaps it is just another strong inflammatory trigger. Also, for the sake of science, I would add that my rosacea also flared when I went on certain dopamine agonists that were supposed to increae my basal metabolic rate (and inc body temp).

My question for you: have you researched or developed an ideal laser treatment protocol for flushing rosacea? acne rosacea? (i.e. is the triple pass technique ideal for hitting all layers of the vascular problem?) To the best of your knowledge, what technology is best for rosacea treatment.?

It seems that defining an optimal laser treatment protocol for the different types of rosacea, would be of utmost importance to rosacea sufferers. Of course, finding the cure is of utmost importance, but in the meantime, rosacea sufferers need to control the disease.

Thank you for weighing in on this. Your expertise is greatly appreciated.

Anne

• 2 months later...
  • MAC Member
Hi Dr Brodell

A somewhat delayed welcome but welcome none the less! I'm trying to catch up!

I see that the number of RRDi members and MAC members are steadily growing and this is very encouraging.

In a nutshell, what are your beliefs on possible causes/cures (controls) for Rosacea?

Where would you like to see research dollars being directed?

Many thanks for your time. It is truly appreciated.

Jenny

Rosacea, like common acne vulgaris is caused by blocked pores, infection, and homones leading to an inflammatory response. We have a long way to go before we can talk about a cure. In my opinion, all of our efforts are directed at controlling this condition.

Research dollars should be directed at basic science, epidemiology (understanding the population with rosacea), applied basic science, and clinical studies regarding particular drugs. A broad effort is required since we are not yet close to a single clear answer to this problem.