Oracea Anecdotal Reports

Guide

• Root Admin

"I’ve been on Oracea for years and finally gave up. It was the chronic yeast infections that did me in. Ironically, I’m not convinced that Oracea helped me that much anyway and it definitely “hurt” (yeast). I’ve been off for over 2 weeks and i don’t notice being off it, other than the complete relief of not having a yeast infection. BTW the infections, for me anyway, got worse and more frequent over time." Scroll to #158 Lisa on 05.20.10 at 2:14 AM

Alyson Beck says, "I too was on oracea for about 2 years when it seemed to no longer work and my rosacea returned. While taking it, I frequently had digestive upsets which I used acidophilus to mediate."

huiness says, "...When I finally decided to go back to Derm #2, he then diagnosed me with rosacea (I'd stopped applying steroids for about a month by then), started me on Oracea and 10% sodium sulfacetamide and gave me my first IPL. Oracea seemed to work ok at first..my face wasn't completely clear but I could live with it. Then 2 weeks into it I had the worst p&p breakout ever - so bad that I called in sick and didnt show up to work (silly, I know). Derm then upped the dosage and switched me to Doryx (doxycycline 150mg), and added finacea to the mix..."

Starbuck says, "I have started to noticed increased redness and eye burning since I started taking Oracea." "I saw a new derm today and she took me off oracea." by starbuck on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:55 pm and on Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:21 am

Stefieny says, "I did not take Oracea long term, but would like to share my experience anyway...I started taking Oracea last August and experienced heavy pressure all over my head after about 10 days, I stopped the medication for a week and the pressure disappeared. I went back on the med and at first, the pressure came back, but after a few days, it was completely gone. I continued taking Oracea for the next 4 months. During those 4 months, I noticed an improvment in ocular rosacea, reduction in nose swelling (phymatous rosacea) and 95% clear of p & p (I have a mild case of p&p). However, I have lost some weight (about 8-10 lbs) since I started taking the med and have not gain back the weight no matter how much I ate. Last month, my ribs and chest started hurting when I went to bed at night and upon waking up in the morning. I suspected these were side effects from taking Oracea. I stopped the medication since and the pain seems to be disappearing as well. As you see, everyone's body and health is different and may react to the drug differently. If you have any liver problems, I do recommend you to do a blood test every three months and make sure the drug is not effecting your liver function in any way." Scroll down to Post #43

Loretta says, "I tried Oracea and a sulfur wash which helped at first but then began to irritate....At my next dr apt. they were surprised that things weren’t improving and switched me to Doryx and Finacea." Scroll down to post #68

dfvalent says, "i started taking oracea a few months ago and i have noticed a severe bloated feeling. i wasn't sure if it was just a pms thing, but i definitely know now that it's the pill. i feel like i ate a ton of salt and my body feels tight. it stinks and i'm going to ask my derm to put me back on regular doxy (don't know why she took me off in the first place!). good to know it's not just me." Scroll down to June 14, 2010 12:49 PM

Lori says, "I tried Oracea for awhile. It worked great at first with no side effects and then my acne rosacea came back with a vengeance. I am now on Doryx tablets 150 mg (timed release), and my face is completely clear." Scroll down to post #84

Robin says, "I used Oracea for a couple of months. It didn’t really help and caused some gastro-intestinal problems." Scroll down to post #93

Ty says, "Oracea worked for about a month and then things went down hill quickly. I had to go back on daily mynocycline, which I find to be much more effective against my p&ps." Comment #8

De says, "I have mild rosacea. I was on an 8 week study for Oracea with Metrogel. Unfortunately at week 4, I developed joint pain in my right hip and I was unable to complete the study. Joint pain is a rare side affect of Oracea, so please be careful. However, I did see results. If you don’t develop side effects then this would be something you might want to try." Comment #1

Stacy M says, "I tried Oracea and had terrible results. If someone wants to have a flare up, I would recommend the Oracea. I had more burning and ruddiness than prior to taking the Oracea." Comment #13

Bettisays, "I recently started taking oreacea 40 mg. No improvement in my acne. Also it is exspensive since it’s a new drug my insurance doesn’t cover it so it’s $75 a month so I won’t be using this again I’m going back to doxycycline." Comment #15

LB says, ""...Anyway, the dermatologist gave me oracea, metrogel 1%, a night cream with coffeeberry by Revaleskin, and recommended that I either continue to use my Neutrogena cleanser or Cetaphil and upgrade my Neurogena moisturizer to 45 spf. I did all that, but I took an initial 4 or 5 pills (sample) that the dermatologist gave me. Then I didn’t refill the pills until about a week later. I had a horrible rash like break out after about a week. I hadn’t had a such a breakout since I used that awful harsh skin cleanser for teenagers when I was a teenager. I didn’t know if it was because I had suddenly quit taking the pills (oracea) or if it was the combo of using Neutrogena cleanser called healthy skin anti-wrinkle anti-blemish with the other things the dermatologist gave me. I have never before had a break out from the simple use of that Neutrogena cleanser, but I thought that perhaps the use of it with the other things might have been a problem. I wish I knew what the cause of that rash was. It strangely cleared up almost completely the next morning after cleansing with Cetaphil and using the night cream. So, I am hoping that it was only that the mix of cleanser, toner, metrogel, moisturizer, and cream somehow didn’t mix right. I am terrified of having that effect again. If it was the sudden stopping of Oracea that caused the rash, then that worries me because if my insurance changed and I couldn’t afford it anymore, I would be up a creek with a rash no less…I don’t know what to think...." Comment # 33

LB continues, "...The Oracea may not have been the reason for that sudden rash, but I’m fairly certain that it is responsible for this stomach aching that started after I started taking the Oracea. I have a sensitive tummy anyway...." Comment #37

Dean says, "I was given some Oracea pills by my Dr. over the summer–enough for about 2 months. They were the kind they give the Dr’s for samples-40-50mgs I think. This really helped my Rosacea because it totally went away. Once I ran out the Rosacea gradually came back. As I travel a lot and its difficult to get to my regular Dr sometimes I called him and he prescribed 100mg of Doxycycline twice a day. I have been taking it now for about 4 days and its already almost completely cleared up. I worry that this is a higher dose than what I’ve seen recommended on your site and others since they recommend 40-50mg a day. I don’t seem to have any negative reactions to the amount he prescribed but worry about building up a “tolerance’ or whatever the word is to taking so much antibiotic. Should I worry about this?..." Comment # 43

Patty says, "...I have had success with Oracea, a low dose doxycycline, but I will still get a small breakout around that "time of the month"..." Scroll to Post #2

Angela says, "...I was taking Oracea along with a a number of other medications… but they didn’t seem to work. So I discontinued them…" Comment #65

prjh says, "He gave me 30 days of Doryx when I went back and he wants to transistion me to Oracea. Two weeks into the Doryx and I am again breakout free -- my concern is that the Oracea will not maintain this as he hopes it will. I was on Oracea about two years ago and it did nothing for me."

Kelly says, "...3 weeks ago I started using Oracea-I have actually had more papules/pustules since using Oracea. Should I stop using it?..." Comment #72

Kay says, "I have been taking Oracea for 2 weeks and I really haven’t seen much of a difference. I still have a break out on my forehead, on the sides of my nose, and my cheeks. The redness hasn’t receded. My eyes are still red and gritty. I had my hopes up so I’m quite disappointed. Also, last weekend, I got some sun on my arms and in the last several days, my arms have broken into a rash. I have small red itchy bumps all over my arms, right in time for short sleeve season..." Comment #78

ItsNotWorking says, "...Anyways, after a month of taking oracea, i have to say my face is way way worse than before taking it. How i wish i didnt go to my dermatologist. Now the bumps/acne is on the right and left and all the way up my cheek, nose, its all over my face. It gets itchy every so often and now face is pitted and scarred.

I am very depressed i dont know if my face will get back to how it was before. It was at least clear at other areas. i know i cant say for sure it is the oracea, but it is the only thing i have taken religiously everyday, hoping one day it will get better...." Comment #81

ItsNotWorking says, "...so i have been off oracea for a few days, the second day my skin cleared up so much i was like screaming with joy… but then the next day i was working around the house on a hot day and my rash came back. i dont know, i think i will just stay off it for a while and see..." Comment #85

Lori says, "I have been on Oracea for over a month now. It has helped with the bad acne alot. I don’t seem to have any side effects and my face is clearer. I still have a “breakout” occasionally but not as severe as before. I signed up on the Oracea website and got a card that pays my insurance co-pay so, for right now, I’m not paying anything. Looks like the card expires in 2010 so we’ll see what happens then. My doctor, however, told me I’d probably be on it for years. Is that safe? I see others are only on for short periods of time. I went off to test to see if it really was helping and immediately started the severe acne again. I’m gonna take it!" Comment #83

Lori says, "...I was taking Oracea and a sulfer face wash. Well that’s all changed. I began getting a bad breakout on each cheek so I stopped using the face wash which seemed to irritate my whole face. At my next dr apt they were surprised that I was worse. So they did a biopsy and it came back Rosacea and Seborhiac (spelling?) dermatitis. Anyway, they switched me to Doryx 150 mg which is a doxy timed release like Oracea but stronger. My entire face is now clear for the first time in 8 months..." Comment #93

Trish says, "...I started oracea 2 weeks ago for allergic dermatitis with underlying rosacea. My derm said it would help as it has anti-inflammatory effect. Well at first it seemed to help with the inflammation because my scales went away. I thought it was helping with redness too but I was also taking Claritin at the same time. Well I quit taking the Claritin last Wed and now I am noticing increased redness and flushing. I quit taking the Claritin because I thought it was worsening flushing. My intern thinks its the Oracea causing the redness. She stated she has seen it with this family of antibiotics."

Candacesays, "...I have used generic doxycycline twice a day for a few months. I bought the 100 mg, tablets and quartered them, taking 25 mg. morning and night. I was hoping that kept the level steadier and also below antimicrobial level. It worked just great on the papules within a couple of days, but was less effective on flushing. But I could go out in public without feeling like a freak. Now I have had to quit because I have developed an allergy to doxy! I get a few small hives, but still, not a good thing as I worry it might suddenly turn into anaphylactic shock. I am also allergic to clindamycin. I don’t know where to turn next. Tetracycline is in the same family as doxy..." Comment #112

Bob says, "...But the Oracea must be taken every day. If i miss a couple of days, i start to itch and break out...." Comment #118

Mary U says, "...I got the four-pack of Oracea last Wednesday, took the first one Thursday morning, and by Thursday afternoon, I knew a yeast infection was headed my way...." Comment #119

Elizabeth asks, "Is Oracea only meant for long-term use? If I stop taking the pills will the redness and bumps come back? My doctor prescribed Oracea for a course of 8 weeks and I’m wondering why I should bother with taking the pills if the problem is just going to come back once I stop taking them." Comment #120

liangjuany says, "...I was on doxycycline for rosacea , after ten days and it turn into a nightmare. i had rashes all over on my face, neck &body . I was then told to stop the drug..."

Cindy Gallese says, "and I don't think it's great to be on antibiotics for a long time. HOWEVER...so far the oracea isn't doing much good...."

Gary says, "I have been using Oracea for about 1.5 years with some results. Recently, I have noticed that its much less effective at keeping the papules subdued..."

Beth Adams wrote, "...I also take Periostat daily (I tried Oracea and it didn't work for me--my derm said some people do better on the Periostat because of the way it's released)...."

windsor90 says, "I have taken Oracea off and on since it went on the market a few years ago so I am very familiar with this drug. I am a fairly fit, active woman and I have a very restricted but healthy diet. There seems to be a pattern of bloating and a feeling of weight gain while taking this even though these are not side effects. When I look back in my journal, I notice that I feel "flubbery" eventually after taking Oracea for some time." 3rd June 2010, 05:40 PM

"i started taking oracea a few months ago and i have noticed a severe bloated feeling. i wasn't sure if it was just a pms thing, but i definitely know now that it's the pill. i feel like i ate a ton of salt and my body feels tight. it stinks and i'm going to ask my derm to put me back on regular doxy (don't know why she took me off in the first place!)...." dfvalent 15th June 2010, 12:49 PM

"me too! ... I'm usually 115/116, and been on and off on many antidepressants and nonce have made me gain weight as quickly as oracea. I'm averaging 2 pounds per week!... =( I'm already 122. Awwwww if only it didn't work so well for my ocular rosacea...." koki 9th July 2010, 12:31 AM

housemousebe7 say, "I have used it in the past and it never helped me with burning, tingling or flushing, only with papules."

Melissa says, "...In fact, that may be the reason oracea never worked for me (I took it in the AM with my viactiv supplement) and then my derm switched me to solodyn. Then I realized no calcium with any antibiotic and changed my calcium schedule...."

Logan Brittain says, "I have been on Oracea for nearly a year, it helps in conjuction with Finacea, but I still get cycles of breakouts and clearing..."

amordereina360 says, "...I have tried oracea and it didn't change a thing...."

camille says, "I've been on oracea for several months now. It is expensive and I dont think its done anything for my rosacea."

Jacinta says, "... I did a 2 month course on Oracea but it did nothing. I'm assuming the ineffectiveness of oracea is what lead to the doryx script. I was just prescribed the Doryx and Rosula..."

peted33 says, "... I was recently put on Oracea and have been it on for over a month. My acne has gotten really bad since being on it. I am getting pus filled pimples really bad in the same spots and now in spots I have not had acne in in years...."

beentherebefore says, "I've been on Oracea for three months. I have had no decrease in flushing or redness. It has cleared up acne on my back, but that's about it. My doctor is stopping me because it hasn't made a noticeable difference." Scroll down to post #8

snivi says, "...I have been on oracea now for about 2 1/2 weeks and as I say I see no improvement really...." Scroll down to Post #10

REDMAN1 says, "I'm really looking for something to help w/ p&p's..my derm wrote a script for oracea, but within a week of using it i broke out in p&p's..i stopped using it and in about a week or two they went away..."

roz says, "Just had a visit with my regular derm a day prior to seeing the laser derm. Though 3 weeks into Oracea....she thought I was doing worse than ever.....she wants me to take one in the morning and one in the afternoon.....doubling the dose and then we will see how things go..."

Jasmine says, "I just wanted to say that I did try Oracea about two years ago and saw no difference." by Jasmine on Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:49 am

homeworksays, "I have noticed that if I miss just one day of Oracea, I will get an outburst of usually one or two large pimples, which will stay with me for about 4-5 days. I've been experimenting and I can tell you for sure that (for me), Oracea must be taken everyday." by homework on Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:28 am

lauriebischofsays, "I am currently on my 2nd month of Oracea and I have not seen an improvement. I'm dealing with itchy liquid filled bumps, raw redness and ocular rosacea." by lauriebischof on Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:17 am

case1953 says, "I have been on Oracea for about three years now, with good results. I have noticed that if i miss a couple of days, i will surely get a flareup." by case1953 on Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:36 am

Chantel says, "I took my Oracea around 2:30 yesterday afternoon. By about 4:30 or so, I started getting a stomach ache which lasted all evening and up into the night. I also had a little bit of burning in my throat. It wasn't unbearable, just uncomfortable, but it got me worried that I would not be able to take Oracea." by TheQueenCity on Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:18 pm • Ten days later Chantel says, "The Oracea has been ok now. It gave me an upset/acid stomach for about the first 4 days I took it. Today will be my 10th day, so hopefully I will be ok on it." by TheQueenCity on Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:40 pm • 24 days on Oracea Chantel says, "Just wanted to give everyone an update on my Oracea. I've been taking it for 24 days now and it does seem to be calming the inflammation down. I do still have some p&p's, but hopefully after a few months it will get bettet." by TheQueenCity on Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:39 pm • Chantel adds three days later, "I have been reading many posts about Oracea and read how it takes at least two full months to see a noticeable difference." by TheQueenCity on Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:18 pm

Loisanne says, "I am feeling glum now because after taking Oracea for a month, I find my red bumps coming back and just hanging around and multiplying. I take the Oracea in the middle of the afternoon on am empty stomach..." by LoisAnne on Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:31 am

niobe says, "When I first started taking the Oracea 40 mg I had no problems with it. It cleared my face pretty quickly and I was optimistic. Then I started to get flu like symptoms, ie. sore throat and a general feeling of being sick. I stopped taking it and had another flare. So back and forth I went but everytime I would take it for longer then a week the flu symptoms would return so I stopped altogether several months ago. That's when I had the worst flare I've ever had. I'm not sure if it was due to stopping the Oracea but my face hasn't been clear since then.

Well I'm back on the Oracea again and this time I'm going to try and stick it out for at least a month to see if I can get completely cleared." by niobe on Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:14 am

De says, "I was on an 8 week study for Oracea with Metrogel. Unfortunately at week 4 I developed joint pain in my right hip and I was unable to complete the study. Joint pain is a rare side affect of Oracea, so please be careful. However, I did see results." #1 De on 03.01.09 at 2:02 AM

Alexis says, "I was on 50mg of Doxy per day prior to getting final approval by Galderma for free Oracea. I've been on the Oracea for just over a month. I don't see yet that it is any better than 50mg Doxy and it might not be as effective. I think most of us in the US are aware that drug companies have a huge lobbying presence and it is Big Business. Galderma (the manufacturer) took doxy and got it into a time-released formula and added some other tiny thing to it...thus they get to Brand Name it and sell it at an outrageous price. Since I qualify for med
assistance to low income people and get it for free I can try it out. I think
someone here mentioned awhile back that one might have to be on it for a couple of months to see real improvement. All I can say is that so far I'm not impressed...50 mg of Doxy for 30 days is $4 at Target or Walmart!"!

Donna says, "I went to the Dr. when my nose kept getting red. He put me on the pill oracea and metrogel. After months of use my nose now is constantly red and is covered with pimples. I went back to the Dr. and he said to just continue what I am doing. It's been 2 more weeks and I hardly see any improvement. ..."

lindas says on 2nd February 2009, 03:53 PM, "I have been on Oracea for six months now - not really working."

Kathleen says, "...at first I took it at night but it made my stomach feel terrible the next day. Morning dose is recommended -- first thing upon awakening; eat breakfast an hour later..." #169 Kathleen on 12.20.10 at 3:47 AM

Marilyn says, "The only thing I don't like about Oracea is the nauseous feeling that comes on in the hour I have to wait before eating a meal.

cj reports, "Oracea is causing me to have gastrointestinal distress and headaches just like generic doxy....." #181 CJ on 03.30.11 at 6:08 AM

oldredlady says, "I started on the Oracea 3 days ago and the redness almost immediately got worse, spreading from my cheeks down my face and I got very dry and itchy as well, which I've never been in my life as I normally have very oily skin, it was a horrid feeling. I called my derm who told me it might be a drug reaction and to stop taking the Oracea, so I did as of yesterday."

dfvalent says, "i started taking oracea a few months ago and i have noticed a severe bloated feeling. i wasn't sure if it was just a pms thing, but i definitely know now that it's the pill. i feel like i ate a ton of salt and my body feels tight. it stinks and i'm going to ask my derm to put me back on regular doxy (don't know why she took me off in the first place!). good to know it's not just me." 15th June 2010 12:49 PM

joonie says, "I also gained weight taking oracea. I couldnt figure out why because I was working out at least 3x a week and taking strength training classes. My clothes were getting tighter not looser. I didnt realize that it was the oracea until 6 months later (after being off oracea) and reading others on another website say they also gained weight from it. The timeline from when I started it and ended was the same as my weight gain." 7th May 2011 03:26 AM

moniquep says, "When it crept back this March, my derm put me on oracea for the first time ever. I was on it for only 2 days & I began to feel really weird...dizzy, achy joints." Post #8 May 24, 2011

maude says, "I've been on Oracea for well over a year and honestly, I am beginning to wonder if it's contributing to my redness? So I wonder if any one else has noticed being more red on oracea?"

bbillcee says, "i have been taking it for over a year now.....i did stop for a month to see what happens and i did not taper like the above recommended and i did flare pretty good....i went right back on it." Post #5 June 2, 2011 at 1:02 AM

Alex-Tronix Irrigation says, "I tried oracea and it did not work for me." Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:12 pm

"I have always had mild tinnitus but am noticing a big jump in the volume lately and am wondering if it is the Oracea." ncgator 6th May 2011 01:29 PM post #16

"i have always had mild tinnitus (only notice it when i go to sleep in the dead quiet, have to run a fan to drown out the slight ringing). lately, (not all the time thought), i will get a loud ringing, had no idea it could be a side effect of oracea." jaymee33 October 28, 2011 12:17 AM post #17

"i started oracea 5 wks ago, but the past few days i have had pressure in my sinus cavity and head and headaches." ]aymee33 October 28, 2011 01:11 AM post #1

py34says, "I am 32 years old and developed rosacea about a year ago. Tried metrogel, finacea and sumaxin wash. 2 and half months of Oracea 40mg daily has had a negligible effect--I feel like overall redness is slightly less, and flushing seems to be diminished some, but it certainly didn't have the miraculous effect that I had hoped for and read about on some of these boards. Now, I've started to develop patches of dry red skin in uniform patterns around my mouth--like just below my cheeks and below the bottom corners of my mouth. Has anyone else experienced this? My Rosacea had pretty much been confined to my cheeks and nose before, but this is different, not exactly like Rosacea, more dry and flaky. I'm wondering if this could be caused by the Oracea and if that means I should get off it. But then what do I do? Nothing seems to work. I really don't understand. I had clear skin all my life, even as a teen, and now, in my 30's my skin suddenly goes bad! Seems strange. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!" 01:57 AM Post #12

Lisa says, "I’ve been on Oracea for years and finally gave up. It was the chronic yeast infections that did me in. Ironically, I’m not convinced that Oracea helped me that much anyway and it definitely “hurt” (yeast). I’ve been off for over 2 weeks and i don’t notice being off it, other than the complete relief of not having a yeast infection. BTW the infections, for me anyway, got worse and more frequent over time." #38177 Lisa on May 20, 2010 at 2:14 AM

Missy says, " If I stop taking the medication for a few days my face explodes with bumps again." #41402 Missy on July 8, 2010 at 12:33 AM

says, "I have been on Efracea (UK name for Oracea, from what I can gather) for over 8 weeks, and think I might have to stop, as the intense headaches and extra flushing are making me just a tad depressed, and it’s only calmed the spots down a bit." #49316 Miranda Rose on January 15, 2011 at 3:35 AM

DD says, "I found a website that mentioned Oracea. My doctor had never heard of it. However, believed my research that it would work and gave me a prescription. Apparently the pharmacy had never heard of it either. Filled the Oracea script with Doxycyline 100 mg…UGH. I took his word that it was the same. Umm, not the same. I felt ill. I went back to the pharmacy, he made some calls and said he was ordering in the Oracea for me. He did, I was floored by the $100 copay with insurance. However found that my 90 day supply will cost anywhere from $798 to my recent $1376 refill. It’s crazy. I’ve been on it for several years. When I stop the Rosacea rages back. So, I don’t stop. I will be on it as long as insurance covers me and when that stops I’ll find some way to pay the high prices. For me it’s a miracle drug." #49805 DD on January 22, 2011 at 10:00 PM

susie says, "Oracea works for me, but just recently lost my insurance coverage, the drug is over $400 for 30 pills!!!!!!" #53304 susie on March 21, 2011 at 6:40 AM

CJ says, "Oracea is causing me to have gastrointestinal distress and headaches just like generic doxy. I have been on Doryx 150 mg in the recent past will no side effects thanks to taking it with food and the time release coating which moves the medication beyond the stomach." #53691 CJ on March 30, 2011 at 6:08 AM

Nikki says, "I have been on it for more than a year now and have tried to wean off several times with no success. When I try to wean off I get the dreaded P&P’s, which I did not have before taking oracea. My skin is wonderful while taking oracea but I don’t know what harm it is doing to my body in the long term. " #54612 Nikki on April 22, 2011 at 4:10 AM

Stella says, "I tried Oracea before but decided my skin condition did not warrant other side effects that could result from long term use." #91756 Stella on March 10, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Maude says, "I am not on oracea any more (quit working after 5 years)." Maude - Post #3 31st August 2012 09:03 PM

dianetavegia says, "After 8 days of Oracea, my stomach couldn't handle any more. I had cramps and lots of gas by day 7 and diarrhea on day 8. I called his office and his PA said to stop taking the meds." Post #1 4th March 2013 02:41 PM

Reports of those who tried to quit Oracea and the results:

colls says, "I've been on Oracea and Finacea gel for a bit over a year. This January my health insurance changed and it's getting a bit costly, even with the promo-thing my doctor gave me which makes it $25/month -- that really adds up. Also, the thought of staying on a low-level antibiotic for the rest of my life ((or long-term)) really doesn't appeal to me. So I went off the Oracea and have been off it for a little over two weeks. HOLY BREAKOUT is all I have to say. Also, my face literally HURTS now, and I have P&P all over my cheeks. I thought I'd done enough legwork, stocked up on gentle cleanser and cooling moisturizer, avoided my triggers (red wine, chocolate)... but ugh. So, of course, I'm refilling my prescription this afternoon. I can't take it anymore." by colls on Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:34 pm

Dave75 says, "Hi gang, as many of you here know, i've had great results with oracea, but I found out yesterday that my oracea prescription went from $70/month to $320 per month and that is WITH insurance drug coverage. Without the insurance, it is $500 per month. Right now I pay $345 per month just to have the insurance and insurance + oracea now costs me $665 a month just to treat, which is the equivalent to some mortgage payments lol. The month before this, the drug cost $50. So In 3 months i've gone from $50 to $70 to $320. I wonder what it would be next month? yikes http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea_Forum/images/smilies/icon_sad.gif" Thread: costs me $9000 a year now to use oracea...alternatives?

there are reports of those who have stopped taking Oracea:

bealjinear never explained what happened

Flora E says, "But oddly enough, while using Oracea, I started to experience moderate heart palpitations and panic attacks and anxiety, and so I stopped using Oracea immediately. I am not sure that I recommend this to everyone." drugs.com April 13, 2015

2cute says, "I saw great results but unfortunately had to stop because the medication went from $300 to $480 and my insurance would not cover it, and that was also using discount card." drugs.com March 13, 2013

anonymous says, "The only problem now is that after all this time of using Oracea, I have developed a constant stomach ache. This is one of the side effects and I am really bummed out about it. I have had not stopped using Oracea. Not sure what is the alternative will be." drugs.com March 6, 2012

anonymous says, "...I was off it for several weeks and while that did not improve my blood counts in that time, it certainly made a difference on my face--the zits started popping out again w/i a week!!..."  cafepharma April 7, 2009

anonymous says, "I was given a prescription for "adult acne"...I think I'm going to go back to Tazorac on its own because this isn't worth it." cafepharma April 17, 2009

KM says, "I was on Oracea for a year. I went off it and started sleeping better. However, once I returned to it, I have binged for ten days. Now I am 49 and weighed the same weight since high school. So yes, although I know I am eating more for whatever reason now, the fact still remains that I don't have the weight gain until I start using the product. I am going to try Omega 3 and a combination pf skin vitamins. Good luck everyone!" cafepharma October 12, 2009

Links to Anecdotal Reports

David Pascoe's Oracea User Reviews

Reply to this Topic

If you read through the above anecdotal reports, how do you think this list was collected?  Yes, it was a volunteer at the RRDi.  If you appreciate the above list, have you thought about how volunteering for the RRDi might benefit not only other rosaceans but also benefit you?  There is scientific data to show you that volunteering is beneficial. Why not take the first step in volunteering at the RRDi and hide behind a cryptic display name so no one knows who you are and post your first post by finding the Reply to this topic button. All it takes is registering your email address. If you don't want our newsletter you can opt out of that when registering. Or the least you can do is not register your email and post in our guest forum without registering anything. 

• Guide pinned this topic