Laser Anecdotal Negative Reports

Guide

• Root Admin

While you can easily find positive reports using laser for rosacea (just go to any dermatologist and ask, or go to any of the doctor's website patient comments) it isn't as easy to find negative reports. You may want to know about an IPL/Laser damage support group? Here are some negative reports collected in alphabetical order by name: 

ATPips posts, "I revisited the same skin care clinic (as I finally could afford to travel to the clinic / pay for more treatment) and explained my issues (I had previously made them aware informally, with no real response). They gave me a free treatment to help correct it and I paid for a couple more (3 in total) to ensure we could patch it up. It is now worse, as the practitioner simply expanded the area so there are more white contrasting circles on my chest than before."

brasileirao says, "I have some minor skin damage from laser".

Clare at RF says, "I wish I could turn back the clock. I had vbeam 4 weeks ago for facial flushing with my rosasea. My skin was otherwise perfect. I am now left with red veins and broken blood vessels and my face is more redder than ever. I feel so depressed. My face feels awful. Why don't they warn you?? I was told to I may have some bruising but not permanent red veins afterwards."

darren1 [post no 8] reports, "Ok, so it's been 7 months since I had PDL. It was my third full-face treatment. I am WORSE at baseline now.....I really don't know if I'm still healing or if the last vBeam was just a bad one. I had absolutely no idea anything like this would happen and have been more than patient by giving it time. That's what all doctors say as a get out clause: 'give it time'...."

Destiny says she had a "Disastrous V-Beam Experience"

Erica8795 posts, "The derm did my usual setting 9.5 but he went over my cheeks twice which isn't usual. Now I look like there are deep dark purple spots, some scabbing and I look worse today than yesterday. I actually also had so much swelling around my eyes, the derm called me back for a steroid shot."

freemanpr posts, "I had three expensive laser treatments (2 on my left cheek, one on my right cheek), bruised badly as expected afterwards (purple and black for a while) but healed after a few weeks. Now months after pulsed dye laser treatment, my rosacea is much worse on both cheeks. I am so disappointed and upset. I have postules and increased redness."

fulloflove2 says, "I was told to get lasers done for my rosacea and now my skin is scarred with pitted indentations plus I have a horrible orange peel."

Jodi Palmere Mihalik‎, Rosacea Tips and Support Group, Facebook, posts " Is anyone suffering from pain and severe burning years after laser? It made me SO much worse..the inflamation from the inside out, the feeling of hot needles, the pulsating...im suffering so badly."

Julie Allen says, "IPL lasers RUINED my skin - horrific ROSACEA"

Monof [post no 6] posts, "Yes my rosacea was triggered by vbeam."

monika555 posts, "Well, instead of living it all alone I thought I could still improve it and decided to do the Vbeam, thinking it will be a walk in the park as I had no bad reaction before. Wrong! I am six days post the procedure and my face looks awful, way worse than even before the Excel V and BBL. Inflamed skin, red patches, more blood vessels on the surface, old red spots that were gone with Excel V are back, papery feel to the skin and some new lines that were not there before. It looks like it was burned by hot water or extreme heat which the laser delivers. Extreme blotchiness and red patches are bothering me the most and are hard to cover with makeup."

nepia posts, "I had my first ever purpuric V-Beam treatment on the 22nd of August, and it is the 31st today. Initially my purpura on my face were purple, and now they are combination of (mostly) red and (some) light red marks."

przemek [post no 5] says, "I suggest you stay away from lasers and ipl as far as possible. I had a lot of them and in retrospect I know that they hurt me more than they helped, even though there were some single treatments when the skin was brighter for some time (but it was only temporary). They make the skin very sensitive and it is a long-lasting symptom. It is enough to have the wrong settings or sometimes you do a series of treatments with the same settings and which subsequent treatment worsened the condition" [also see post no 17 in this thread] [see also post no 5 in this thread] [post no 2 in this thread]

RedMage [post no 9] "In my case, the condition of my skin quickly returned about 4-6 weeks to the state before the treatment. Eventually, after all these treatments, the condition of my skin improved by maybe up to 10%. It is a waste of time and, above all, not a small amount of money."

Seb91 [post no 34] "From someone who has had 15+ V Beams myself, I have made the decision to stop doing them (the last one was late in 2019). Everyone has their own experience with V Beam, but for me, it's short term success. I think that's what kept me coming back again and again. Seeing and feeling improvement, only to regress 3/4/5 months later. Whether it's caused long term sensitivity and damage, I don't know."

Sineadrosy [post no 1] "I have neurogenic rosacea and thus far beta blockers haven't worked, antibiotics haven't worked, LDN hasn't worked and laser is what caused it in the first place. 

snuffleupagus 10/14/11 Post #4, "I wish i never had that laser - it screwed up my life so bad. Facial muscle pain on top of rosacea...."

Tidak [post no 1] started a thread entitled, Seeking advice on Sun damage after Vbeam

titus23 posts, "...Right now at the 4 week mark I have these brown marks from my intense vbeam treatment and they are causing my great anxiety and concern. Reading on these forums about hyperpigmentation and hemosiderin stains, I cannot tell if I have one or the other, or both,..."

Violetsareblue (post no 4) says, "I also had increased sensitivity of my skin over time. Initially I did not notice, I had spot corrections of single very small areas, but after doing v-beam my skin started to change and over time it got more and more obvious that it was not good for my skin at all. I am happy for all of those who have luck with lasers, unfortunately I am not one of them. I would say just be very alert to your reactions over time. I have had four v-beams in total and maybe three-four small spot IPLs. My skin started acting odd a couple of months post my second v-beam and then it just got worse after each session. At the time I was very pleased and I do get good results with this type of treatments the first few months, but the vessels do come back and in my case they came back as very jumpy ones. Best! V

Add Your Report
If you have had a negative experience with laser, wouldn't it be gracious on your part to share your experience with other rosaceans so they can read about it?  That is what volunteering is all about. Find the reply button and share your experience.

Reply to this Topic
There is a reply to this topic button somewhere on the device you are reading this post. If you never heard about this topic and you learned about it here first, wouldn't it be a gracious act on your part to show your appreciation for this topic by registering with just your email address and show your appreciation with a post?  And if registering is too much to ask, could you post your appreciation for this topic by finding the START NEW TOPIC button in our guest forum where you don't have to register?  We know how many have viewed this topic because our forum software shows the number of views. However, most rosaceans don't engage or show their appreciation for our website and the RRDi would simply ask that you show your appreciation, please, simply by a post.