Flaxseeds

• Administrators

As I have introduced Vedic Diets and Satvik diet comes under this diet and this diet contains seeds. So first I will introduce flaxseed and the reason is, I eat flaxseed and I will tell you the benefits of flaxseed for your skin.  I already have been using natural flaxseed gel for my curly hair but had never known the benefits of flaxseed for the skin especially the rosacea skin. I have been eating flaxseed for about more than two years when I found that it has anti-inflammatory properties. So I thought why not have it for my skin besides hair.

What is Flaxseed ?

Flax commonly known as linseed is a food and fiber crop cultivated in the cooler regions of the world. There are two varieties of flaxseeds- brown and golden(1), the one I eat is brown flaxseeds because it is easily available to me.

Components of Flaxseeds

1. Polyunsaturated and saturated fatty acids : There is a mixture of fatty acids in flaxseed but polyunsaturated fatty acid (omega-3) is high in content than polysaturated fatty acids (omega-6) at the ration of 3:1.

2. Lignans : They are phytoestrogens means they are found in plants in rich amount but very weak in animals and flaxseed is the richest source of lignans. Plants contain good amount of lignans which I had described in my earlier post on my research on C.viminalis plant extract which has lignan compound in it. Lignans in flaxseed is in precursor form and converted to lignan by gut bacteria.

3. Fiber : it is a good dietary fiber source in flaxseed if you consume one tablespoon of flaxseed daily, it will give you all the benefits of flaxseed because your gut contains more immuntiy and when your gut is happy you are happy and flaxseed gives insoluble and soluble fiber to improve gut health and very friendly to bacteria and it balances the friendly bacteria of your gut to do their work to process lignan and fiber.

4.Protein,vitamins and minerals : Flaxseed contain some amount of amino acid, potassium (seven times higher than banana) and some lower amounts of other essential minerals.(2)

Benefits of Flaxseed for inflammatory skin

There are so many benefits of consuming flaxseed but we will count the benefits of flaxseed for our inflammatory skin. So first we will see what does omega-3 do to our health, actually flaxseed is a richest source of ALA(omega-3) but we actually get the less benefits from it because before we get the benefits from it actually it must be converted into EPA and DHA by limited enzymes and that is the reason we get less amount of omega-3 from flaxseed.

Omega-3 is the building blocks of skin and it maintains the skin barrier by locking in moisture and thus it keeps our skin smooth and hydrated. It has a very good effect on improving digestive health, blood pressure and reducing bad cholesterol basically keeping our heart safe and healthy.

Lignans help reconstruct our broken blood vessels due to rosacea inflammation and renew our skin cells. Lignans have antioxidant properties, so it keeps our skin from oxidative damage such as free radicals and UV rays. This is a very important compound in flaxseed because we get less amount of benefits from omega-3 despite it is rich in flaxseed but we can count on lignans due to its antioxidant properties.

Fiber we all know keep our gut healthy and happy and maintains the homeostasis of the gut. It has indirect effect on skin inflammation. if our gut is balanced,our gut immunity is balanced and as we all know there is a strong correlation between gut immunity and skin immunity because I have seen lots of time when my gut is upset and disbalanced, I can see redness on my face. So whenever I see this effect, I first cure my gut and redness on my face automatically lessens.

References

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flax

2. https://www.goldenvalleyflax.com/flax-facts/health-research-articles/nutritional-components-flax/