Sign in to follow this  
Admin

Does a vacation to the South Pacific which includes snorkeling improve rosacea?

This Question and Answer was published in the Albuquerque Journal (also reported in the People's Pharmacy)

Q: I am a 53-year-old man. When I turned 50, I developed severe rosacea. I tried everything, and nothing helped.

I just returned from a two-week vacation in the South Pacific. I learned to snorkel and scuba dive and was in the ocean every day. By the time I left, all signs of rosacea were completely gone.

I don’t know why salt water works to clear up the skin, but it’s almost miraculous.

A: Thank you for sharing your great results. For those who may not have the opportunity to go snorkeling, other readers have suggested some unconventional ways of calming rosacea. This skin condition causes redness of the cheeks, nose and forehead. Sometimes there are fine red lines visible just under the skin, and there may be pimplelike blemishes.

Use trial and error to determine if any of these remedies might help:

• Selsun Blue dandruff shampoo with selenium sulfide. Apply it in the morning and leave it on for a few minutes, then rinse it off.
  • Milk of magnesia. Dab it on the affected areas morning and night, let it dry and apply the usual moisturizer.

Admin note: Whether it is the salt water or less stress, wouldn't you like to try this treatment for your rosacea?

Anecdotal reports of rosacea clearance on a vacation: 

anon24

CrabbyCathy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:53 am (sixth post in the thread)

Mister88 (also nat007 post #8, Acne Rosacea Support post #9, maroon5 post #10)

People's Pharmacy Comments confirms similar results for Dave, Abigail, Lynn and her husband, and CPMT

Nick (and BVokey see post #2)

RaymondS post #8

tifer (post no 1) reports, "there’s only 1 thing that COMPLETELY eliminates my seb derm (AND dandruff): going on vacation. and whats mind blowing is the fact that my scalp goes back to normal 100% within 3-5 days. it’s unbelievable. (post no 1)