PubMed RSS Feed - - Five-Year Trend in the Number of Dermatologic Clinical Drug Trials Registered on ClinicalTrials.gov.

rss

Five-Year Trend in the Number of Dermatologic Clinical Drug Trials Registered on ClinicalTrials.gov.

J Drugs Dermatol. 2015 May 1;14(5):497-500

Authors: Patel SS, Huang KE, Fleischer AB, Feldman SR

Abstract
BACKGROUND: There is a reported global decrease in the number of clinical trials conducted in recent years. We aimed to determine if this declining trend can be extrapolated to dermatologic clinical trials. <br/> METHODS: We conducted a query of ClinicalTrials.gov for dermatologic clinical trials from 2009 to 2013 for 6 common skin conditions: <i>acne, psoriasis, rosacea, eczema</i> and <i>atopic dermatitis, actinic keratosis,</i> and <i>skin cancer.</i> Results were sorted by condition and number of study subjects. This study did not involve any participants apart from the researchers. <br/> RESULTS: Although there is an increasing trend in the number of trials performed annually, the results were not significant (<em>P</em>=.08). The average number of patients per study has not significantly changed (<em>P</em>=.12), but there was a significant increase in the number of large studies (201+ subjects) conducted over time (<em>P</em>=.002). Although there was significant variation based on dermatologic condition studied (global statistic P=.01), only skin cancer demonstrated a significant change in the number of studies registered annually (&beta;=10.6 studies/year, <em>P</em>=.04). <br/> CONCLUSIONS AND RELEVANCE: The sky does not appear to be falling, at least not yet, with regard to continued development of treatments for patients with skin disease. <br /><br /> <em>J Drugs Dermatol.</em> 2015;14(5):497-500.

PMID: 25942669 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25942669?dopt=Abstract = URL to article