PubMed RSS Feed - -Rosacea Blepharoconjunctivitis Treated with a Novel Preparation of Dilute Povidone Iodine and Dimethylsulfoxide: a Case Report and Review of the Literature.

rss

Related Articles

Rosacea Blepharoconjunctivitis Treated with a Novel Preparation of Dilute Povidone Iodine and Dimethylsulfoxide: a Case Report and Review of the Literature.

Ophthalmol Ther. 2015 Nov 2;

Authors: Pelletier JS, Stewart KP, Capriotti K, Capriotti JA

Abstract
INTRODUCTION: Povidone iodine (PVP-I) 10% aqueous solution is a commonly utilized anti-septic employed for sterilization of the ocular surface prior to interventional procedures. Dimethylsulfoxide (DMSO) is a well-known skin penetration agent scarcely utilized in ophthalmic drug formulations. We describe here a low-dose formulation of 1% PVP-I (w/w) in a gel containing DMSO for use in the setting of recalcitrant rosacea blepharoconjunctivitis. A review of the ocular uses of dimethylsulfoxide is also presented.
CASE REPORT: A 78-year-old male presented with chronic, long-standing blepharitis involving both the anterior and posterior lid margins. Posterior lid and skin inflammatory changes were consistent with ocular rosacea. Previous oral and topical therapies had been largely ineffective at controlling his condition.
CONCLUSION: The topical PVP-I/DMSO system was effective in abating the signs and symptoms of rosacea blepharoconjunctivitis. Further investigation of this novel agent is warranted.

PMID: 26525679 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

{url} = URL to article