sulfur butter

• Inactive Voting Member

Please Note:
The RRDi is an Amazon Affiliate. By clicking below on the image and purchasing the item, the RRDi receives a small fee. Thanks. Please post your experience using this product in this thread.

Sulfur Butter Cream 'n Ointment

Here's something new I have tried for rosacea, on the advice of a friendly stranger: topical sulfur.

Sulfur is one of the oldest known skin remedies, but of course being natural, abundant, and cheap, it's not something the drug companies bother with (https://rosacea-support.org/sulphur-still-a-classic-treatment-for-rosacea-2012-aad-san-diego.html), but as it helps to control demodex mites, yeast and bacteria, it is certainly a promising ingredient for rosaceans.

As it turns out, topical sulfur products are not available over the counter in Canada, but the internet abounds with various formulations. I researched ingredient lists for as many as I could find, and zeroed in on a product called Sulfur Butter. Most of the creams and ointments I saw included objectionable ingredients, like salicylic acid (very aggravating for rosacea) or parabens (known endocrine disruptors, among other nasty effects: http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/search.php?query=paraben&search_group=ingredients&ptype2=). Sulfur is combined with sulfacetamide antibiotic in several prescription formulations (Sumadan, Plexion, Rosac, Avar etc), but who needs more antibiotics? Sulfur Butter contains only water, cocoa, coconut, shea butter, sulfur, glycerin, hemp oil, jojoba oil, avocado oil, and it's only about $7 on Amazon.

I quickly found that Sulfur Butter is too drying to just rub on my face and leave on, so I've been applying it a few minutes before my shower, then washing and moisturizing as usual. And voila! Within a few days, the redness has really calmed down to almost nothing, and no new lesions have appeared. It remains to be seen whether this is a long term solution (perhaps with just occasional use), but it certainly has been the best short term product I've tried!

• Root Admin

Joanne, 

Thanks for the research and tip. I think I will order a jar and check it out myself. 

RRDi Members:
Result is that I am on my second jar and noticed that it works for me. For me it was oily and didn't dry out my face at all. It has a sulfur smell, but as I said it works for me. I have been using the ZZ cream for some time now and this Sulfur Butter by Braunfels Labs works just as good and is inexpensive.

Recommend you purchase through our Amazon affiliate program and try it out. Please post here if it works for you. Thanks. 

Brady