Autoimmune Protocol Diet

Guide

• Root Admin

First heard about the Autoimmune Protocol Diet from JennAdeleK (post no 4) and decided it is worthy of a post here. Jenn reports that using the AIP Diet has improved her rosacea by 85%. So what is the AIP Diet? Wikipedia hasn't a listing for this yet as of March 15, 2017. 

Dr. Sara Gottfried says, "The Autoimmune Protocol (AIP) is a very restrictive diet that removes foods considered to be gut irritants. The AIP is a stricter version of the Paleo diet, which involves the elimination of grains, legumes, dairy, and processed foods. The AIP takes things a step (actually an entire staircase) further, and eliminates many foods which have been shown to potentially irritate and cause holes in the gut lining. The AIP is very difficult for many people to follow, but sometimes it’s temporarily necessary to fully heal a very leaky gut."

So it is a very strict diet that most rosacea sufferers will never follow. Why is that? Since 1998 I have advocated the Rosacea Diet which simply explains that eating a high sugar/high carbohydrate diet triggers rosacea and very few can follow or even try this diet. The AIP Diet is even more strict, so the vast majority of rosacea sufferers will continue eating and drinking whatever they want and continue to look for a pill or topical that will control their rosacea. Changing a diet life style is extremely difficult for most rosacea sufferers. 

Dr. Gottfried lists the food to avoid on her web site which is listed below for your convenience: 

Foods eliminated on the Autoimmune Protocol (AIP) Diet:

Grains - wheat, rice, corn, and others; and pseudograins (millet, amaranth, teff, etc.)
Legumes – all beans including peanuts, black beans, pinto beans, hummus, etc.
Dairy – all sources of dairy, even raw or fermented
Nuts and seeds - all nuts and seeds including cashews, almonds, quinoa, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, seed-based spices, chocolate, coffee, etc.
Eggs - especially the white part of the egg, which contains inflammatory proteins
Nightshades - tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, tomatillos, eggplants, goji berries and several spices
Industrial seed oils - pretty much all liquid oils, except for olive and avocado oils
Processed foods - basically anything that comes out of a package
Alcohol - it is well established that alcohol induces a leaky gut. [4]
NSAIDs - Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as Ibuprofen, aspirin, and naproxen, which cause holes to form in the gut and stomach linings. [5]
Sugar, starches, fruits, yeasts, FODMAPs - Sweet, starchy, and yeast-containing foods can contribute to imbalances in the gut microflora (dysbiosis) by feeding unfavorable bacteria in the gut. They are best limited or restricted especially at first on the AIP.

So give it a try if you are tough and see if this works to control your rosacea. I am confident that if you do try this for thirty days you will notice an incredible difference in your rosacea, without a doubt you will see improvement. 

The latest theory on rosacea is that it is a disorder of the immune system where too many cathlecidins run amuck. There has been another theory that rosacea has something to do with the gut. You may want to be up to date about the latest theories on rosacea

Yes, indeed, the AutoImmune Protocol Diet would probably help you if you actually can do it.  

And we all know deep inside that rosacea is a result of our poor diet over a long time of abuse.

Reply to this Topic

There is a reply to this topic button somewhere on the device you are reading this post. If you never heard about this topic and you learned about it here first, wouldn't it be a gracious act on your part to show your appreciation for this topic by registering with just your email address and show your appreciation with a post?  And if registering is too much to ask, could you post your appreciation for this topic by finding the START NEW TOPIC button in our guest forum where you don't have to register?  We know how many have viewed this topic because our forum software shows the number of views. However, most rosaceans don't engage or show their appreciation for our website and the RRDi would simply ask that you show your appreciation, please, simply by a post.  

I have a naturopath and I'm currently on this exact diet. It has improved my skin tremendously. I went from a rosacea fulminans level to a slightly red patch level. I have also added other things such as supplements, CBD to promote healing and oil pulling/cleansing because I had severely dry skin. One addendum to the diet that is here is: cold pressed organic coconut oil is allowed and everything is organic (according to my naturopath).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Yes CBD is cannabidiol. I do live in California so everything is legal here. I however do not like the high associated with marijuana it gives me anxiety. This alternative doesn't have any thc so I can be a normal functioning person. It is also legal in all states, well it was last November.

• Root Admin
Yes CBD is cannabidiol. I do live in California so everything is legal here. I however do not like the high associated with marijuana it gives me anxiety. This alternative doesn't have any thc so I can be a normal functioning person. It is also legal in all states, well it was last November.

Happy you have a regimen that works to control you Rosacea.

Happy you have a regimen that works to control you Rosacea.

I'll see how far it goes. It may not be the end all be all of control but it is for the rest of my inflammation and that's enough for me. For now.