Warm Room / optional solution for flushing

Hi all,

This will be my first post on this forum so I will start with short version of my story as a Rosacea sufferer.

Normally I m living in Poland and I have been living in Australia for almost a year now. I started to notice that I have problems with this condition when I was 16 (today I have 32, so this is a long-standing problem). During this time, I tried many available therapies prescribed to me by doctors, dermatologists or found on the internet. I lost a lot of money and time on creams, tablets, lasers  (I had over 20 IPLs alone). Nothing helped in the long run. In the case of creams even worsened the case because at the moment I am not able to take any even delicate creams without hugly increasing my redness. Lasers could help mildly for a while but later the cheeks returned to their initial state. The tablets helped with flushing but the side effects could be very unpleasant and the red color remained. Some of the medications were able to exacerbate my condition. And with this short intruduction behind us lets go to the main dish.

Observing my condition over the years, I noticed that my condition is improving during the summer period and worsens during autumn and winter. I thought it must be related to the amount of sun, so whenever I could I was exposing to the sun's rays. Tan actually partially concealed my ailment, although when it came down my skin was even worse than before. Last year, I went on a work & holiday visa to Australia, I chose Brisbane as a destination because I wanted my skin to get as much sun as possible and stay tanned all the time.
As I quickly learned, because the sun here in Australia is much more biting, it was not the right approach. And mostly I was staying red all the time.
During that time, at the forum rosaceagroup.org, I read the article "Warm room flush theory revisited" which directed to Colin Dahl's book "HEAT REGULATION AND THE WARM ROOM FLUSH PHENOMENON"
The author is / was also rosacea sufferer. However, he managed to overcome his illness with the help of the regime he introduced. What is important is doesn't cost money, no wonderful creams or medicines. Even a laser is an optional matter here. However, my observations and Colin's observations are very convergent.

I also wrote to him on LinkedIn to find out more details and he was so kind that he answered my questions and meticulously answered all of them.
I started applying the regimen from September 2018, now 4 months of testing are behind me. Unfortunately, due to my work and housing conditions, I am not able to 100% stick to the presented regime. I stopped using chemistry and replaced it with an unscented soap, the same with sunscreen. A simple cream with zinc or zinc oxiade, at least SPF 30+. I trying to make the temperature in the room in which I sleep did not fall below 22 degrees. I also avoid staying in places where there are major temperature changes. This is not easy. I would say it is actually very hard. Ithink I making the plan is about 50%. The effects, however, are visible now and it seems to me that these are the best effects I have ever had even after using the most expensive lasers were not half as good.

First of all, flushing was practically eliminated. I remember only 2 such attacks recently, but it was due to the fact that for 2 weeks I was on a trip in Cruise Ship in the South Pacific and the temperature between the islands and the air-conditioned interior plus wind and that I did not watch too well to the regime caused that after these two weeks I had this problems.
The skin seems calmer although Its still far from its natural color (compering with the color on forehead for instance). For this I have to reduce the infrastructure of blood vessels and reverse angiogenesis. According to the author, it took him 18 months so surely I have a long way to go. Though if I will be able after I return to Poland to sustain even this result my life would be so much better compared to that it used to be.

Please let me know if any of you also were trying this approach or for any other questions. 

• Root Admin

RedMage, 

Welcome to the RRDi forum. You have a detailed history and it appears you are coming closer to regulating your flushing better. We posted about Colin Dahl's paper here in November 2017. 

I have collected together a list of treatments used for flushing avoidance, if you haven't read this page already. There a number of other posts in the following: 

Forum Home >  Forums > Public Forum > Rosacea Topics > Trigger Avoidance > Blushing & Flushing Triggers

There is a thread at RF with a similar theme, Warm room flush theory revisited.

If you would permit me, I think your post should be in the above category rather than in Rosacea in Remission since you seem to still have rosacea not completely in remission. Let me know if that is ok with you. 

Sure,

No worries mate I didn't know where to put it myself, just wanted to reach as many people as possible.

If even one person try this way because he /she reads my testimony and will feel better after that would be great.

Also if somebody has similiar expieriences it would be great that we can share it.