Low Dose Naltrexone

Guide

• Root Admin

Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN)

LDN.png

"Naltrexone, sold under the brand names ReVia and Vivitrol among others, is a medication primarily used to manage alcohol or opioid dependence." It also "has been used in chronic pain such as fibromyalgia with new but well documented evidence of potential benefit." [1] There are anecdotal reports that it reduces flushing, neuropathic rosacea, neurogenic rosacea, and improves phenotype 1 

Flugs at RF has started a thread indicating that low dose Naltrexone helps with phenotype 1 (of course Flugs calls it subtype 1). If you read the entire thread Flugs also takes propranolol (10 mg 3 times daily ), uses IPL (post no 29), however, in post no 49 Flugs writes, "I’ve also dropped all the meds I have tried in the past, none of which seemed to help much anyway... at least not enough for me to want to do something to my heart in order to help my face. So all I’m taking now is LDN and a tablesppon of apple cider vinegar every day."

Flugs reports at post no 80, "On the down side though - I have to confess that i have had a few (pretty minor) flushes in the past two or three weeks. Almost always for no apparent reasons. It may still be post IPL recovery, last one was a month ago.. but IPL recoveries used to be waaaayyy worse, so if this is all I get I'm fine with that. I confess I have also been dabbling with (very mild) mandelic acid of late - I think I was overdoing it - Ive dialled back." So Flugs is still trying some other treatments along with LDN. In post 99 he mentions his 12th IPL treatment. 

At post no 112 Flugs writes, "I am still prone to flushing a little when I get too warm - and also (oddly) when I am trying, and failing, not to fall asleep, such as late at night in front of the tv (that’s always made me flush.. does that happen with anyone else!?) when I say “flushing a little” I mean that my cheeks get red and feel warm, but I can take it down pretty much instantly by cooling them (fan, water spray etc) in some way. Even if I were to leave them be they would go down themselves within a few mins... compare that to the sometimes 12 hour long painful flushes I got when the rosacea arrived two years ago."

Judworth who suffers from Neuropathic Rosacea (has lots of posts) reports in the same thread Flug started mentioned above about his experience taking LDN, "Since taking LDN I am cautiously happy to report that I haven't had any facial nerve pain, I still get the warm room flush, but my face is less reactive in general, even after a spell on the computer (which always gave me an element of activity even if it wasn't a full-blown flush)." At post no 117 Judworth writes, "LDN has been a god-send for me, not only calming the skin, stopping my facial nerve pain and halting the burning sensation in my mouth caused by lichen planus, I feel it is somehow re-booting my faulty immune system!" At post no 567, "my flushing has been knocked out by about 99%." Judy says that the LDN sublingual drops is preferred at post no 3 in this thread

Sineadrosy started a thread on this subject with other discussing their experience.

One paper says LDN is a treatment also for pain. [2]

Dosage

The low dose Naltrexone is usually starting out at 1 mg and gradually increasing to 4.5 mg. Flugs insists that taking more than this won't work (go through his thread which has many other users reporting success with LDN). 

Etcetera

You may want to show your doctor this pdf: 

Low-dose Naltrexone (LDN) Fact Sheet 2014

LDN Research Trust

LDNNow

End Notes 

[1] Naltrexone, Wikipedia

[2] New hope for treating chronic pain without opioids, ScienceDaily 

We have a post on LDN in other prescriptions.

Reply to this Topic
There is a reply to this topic button somewhere on the device you are reading this post. If you never heard about this topic and you learned about it here first, wouldn't it be a gracious act on your part to show your appreciation for this topic by registering with just your email address and show your appreciation with a post?  And if registering is too much to ask, could you post your appreciation for this topic by finding the START NEW TOPIC button in our guest forum where you don't have to register?  We know how many have viewed this topic because our forum software shows the number of views. However, most rosaceans don't engage or show their appreciation for our website and the RRDi would simply ask that you show your appreciation, please, simply by a post.  

• 11 months later...
  • Root Admin
16 hours ago, Ruby said:

I’m taking it not had great results yet . But I got my sister on it who has fibromyalgia and it’s worked wonders for her. I’ve been up to 4.5 but i couldn’t sleep so I’m on my way back down. 

Thanks Ruby, keep us posted.