PubMed RSS Feed - -Effect of treatment with silver(I) complex of metronidazole on ocular rosacea: Design and formulation of new silver drug with potent antimicrobial activity.

rss

Effect of treatment with silver(I) complex of metronidazole on ocular rosacea: Design and formulation of new silver drug with potent antimicrobial activity.

J Trace Elem Med Biol. 2020 Apr 17;61:126531

Authors: Waszczykowska A, Żyro D, Jurowski P, Ochocki J

Abstract
BACKGROUND: Metronidazole with well-soluble silver nitrate forms a complex with potent activity (synergism) against bacterial strains and fungi with simultaneous lower side effect than in the case of the two agents administered separately. This study aimed to establish effectiveness in the treatment of ocular rosacea with new formulation of drops and ointment with silver(I) complex of metronidazole.
METHODS: Three patients suffering from serious ophthalmic complications of acne rosacea were treated with drops and ointments applied 3 times a day for 3 months. The uncorrected visual acuity testing (UCVA), pachymetry as well as subjective and objective tear film assessment were evaluated.
RESULTS: In all patients, we have improved UCVA as well as objective and subjective evaluation of the tear film parameters. No significant differences in corneal thickness were observed.
CONCLUSION: Well soluble silver(I) complex of metronidazole might be an alternative method in ophthalmic complications of acne rosacea treatment.

PMID: 32388103 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

{url} = URL to article