2015 NRS Form 990 Review

Guide

• Root Admin

Every year for some time now I have been reviewing the NRS Form 990 which was recently posted on its web site (the NRS filed an extension). It is similar to the other reviews I have given in the past (2013 or 2014). Very few are interested in how the NRS spends it money nor care at all. As far as I know I am the lone watchdog on the NRS. However, since the NRS was the chief reason the RRDi was formed because we thought donated funds could be better spent than how the NRS spends its donated funds giving rosacea sufferers an alternative, you may see why I continue to monitor and review the NRS spending and post my review. 

The nutshell version for 2015 is that the NRS received $520,532 in revenue and spent $659,106 in expenses. You may wonder how they can do that but the simple reason is that the NRS has assets which they can draw upon when the NRS spends more than it receives in donations. The NRS spent $75,010 on research grants. So that amounts to 14.41% of its donations. To put this in perspective, every dollar donated in to the NRS in 2015, about 14 cents was spent on research grants. 95% ($494,219) of the donations were spent on two private contractors, Glendale Communications Group, Inc. and Park Mailing and Fulfillment, Inc. that are owned by Sam Huff, President of the NRS. It was also reported that Sam received $114,117 in salary while his secretary, Mary Erhard, received $39,364. 

Here is a breakdown of the Form 990: 

Form 990 Part 1 Revenue

Line 8 Contributions and grants  $462,608

Line 9 Program service revenue $  57,674

Line 10 Investment Income         $       250

Total Revenue                             $520,532

Expenses 

Line 13 Grants and similar amounts paid $ 75,000

Line 17 Other expenses                           $584,096

Total expenses                                         $659,106

Part VII Compensation of Officers, Directors, Trustees, Key Employees, Highest Compensated Employees, and Independent Contractors

Section A

(1) Samuel B Huff, President 

Reported compensation from related organizations $114,117

(2) Mary F. Erhard, Secretary

Reported compensation from related organizations $ 39,364

Schedule R Part V Transactions with Related Organizations

Note 1

m Performance of services or membership or fundraising solicitations for related organization(s)

n Sharing of facilities, equipment, mailing lists, or other assets with related organization(s)

o Sharing of paid employees with related organization(s)

Note 2

(1) Glendale Communications Group, Inc (c) $447,912

(2) Park Mailing and Fulfillment, Inc.         (c)  $ 46,307

Total Transactions                                           $494,219

2015 NRS Form 990

For a spreadsheet of all the years reviewed click here

• 10 months later...
  • Root Admin

To understand the previous post in an easy seven screenshot view of the NRS 2015 Form 990. 

Screenshot 1 of Page 1 (below) shows the total revenue received in the amount of $520,532 (Part 1, Line 12). Line 13 shows the total spent on grants ($75,010)

NRSscreenshot1.png

Screenshot 2 (below) shows compensation paid the president of the NRS, Sam Huff in the amount of $114,117. 

NRSscreenshot2.png

Screenshot 3 (below) shows the total amount of money spent on grants ($75,010) and some of the other expenses. 

NRSscreenshot3.png

Screenshot 4 (below) shows the public support percentage amount of the money received for 2015 which is 30.91% (Section C, line 14): 

NRSscreenshot4.png

Screenshot 5 (below) shows who received $75,000 in grants (three different schools): 

NRSscreenshot5.png

Screenshot 6 (below) shows the 'Samuel B Huff and Mary F. Erhard are employed by Glendale Communications Group (Glendale) and/or Park Mailing and Fulfillment (Park), an affiliate of Glendale."  Glendale and Park are both owned by Sam Huff

NRSscreenshot6.png

Screenshot 7 (below) shows the amount of 'transactions with related organizations' made to Glendale ($447,192) and Park ($46,307) which totals $494,219 (95% of the total amount spent in 2015 by the NRS of the total amount received in revenue). Both of these 'private contractors or related organizations are both owned by Sam Huff, President of the NRS

NRSscreenshot7.png