What about florescent lights and rosacea?

Guide

• Root Admin

"All fluorescent lamps emit some UV. Typical fluorescent lamps, including CFLs, which consumers would encounter, emit very low levels of UV. In order to measure any UV radiation from these lamps, very sensitive measuring equipment must be used." 
Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFLs) – Fact Sheet/FAQ, FDA

Florescent lights are an interesting subject when it comes to rosacea. There is good news and bad news. First, let's mention the bad news. 

fluorescent-lights.png

There are some who complain that florescent lights trigger rosacea flareups:

(Thread no 1, Thread no 2, Thread no 3, Thread no 4).

There aren't any clinical papers about this so it is purely an anecdotal trigger to add to the list. 

There is a great scene in Joe vs the Volcano where Tom Hanks says, "Zombie lights, I...I..I, can feel them sucking the juice out of my eyeballs. Suck, suck, suck, suck, suck....gghhoooish!!!"

Anecdotal Reports Fluorescent Lights A Rosacea Trigger

"In my experience, fluorescent lighting only exacerbates an existing condition..." mrsmoof Thread,

"Having just moved offices i have come to realize that fluorescent lights are a trigger of mine." phlika Thread,

"Is it just me, or does fluorescent lighting induce a flush in other people. Im not sure if its an actual flush caused by the lights in some form, or wether its a psychological flush from feeling that your red skin is more obvious." Lycaon Thread

Fluorescent Light (Kleresca) Treats Rosacea (Good News!)
Ironically, the Kleresca® biophotonic platform utilizes fluorescent light energy to treat redness. 

More information on EM radiation

• 8 months later...
  • Root Admin

"We assessed the efficacy of the Kleresca® biophotonic platform (KLOX Technologies Inc., Laval, Canada), which creates fluorescent light energy (FLE), to induce a novel form of photobiomodulation for treating rosacea. We also assessed patient satisfaction with their facial appearance and concerns about perceptions of others before and after treatment...FLE significantly reduced the inflammatory erythematous reaction of the face, improved flushing and erythema associated with rosacea, and had a positive impact on patients' self-perception and emotional wellbeing....Our results support FLE as an effective, noninvasive treatment modality for rosacea."

Biophotonic Therapy with Fluorescent Light Energy Decreases Facial Erythema, Improves Signs and Symptoms of Rosacea, and Increases Patient Satisfaction: A Postmarket Study

More on FLE