Covid 19 and Rosacea

Apurva Tathe

• Administrators

Hii everyone, I want to share my experience with you. I was corona positive last month and what was interesting is I had mild symptoms of corona and I got perfectly fit after 3 to 4 days but then I realized that I have lost my sense of smell and taste and it lasted one month and then now I am regaining slowly and after all these chaos I found that my rosacea had become more aggressive and covered almost my entire face. Blood vessels became dilated and torn and big red blotches were visible and I could not understand why this corona had this big impact on my rosacea and this aggressive effect left my skin like a peel but then I cured it slowly with mild scrubbing and gut cleaning and with healthy food. So I experienced that corona has its impact on rosacea.

• Root Admin

Apurva, 

Thanks for your post. Sure hope you are not having any Covid 19 repurcussions or other health issues. Thank God you are ok and got through your illness. Sorry your rosacea flamed up during your stressful period which without a doubt added to your illness. Keep us informed of any other issues you may experience and update us using this thread.  

• 7 months later...
  • Root Admin

The coronavirus-19 (COVID) pandemic has hindered health care provider operations, and its impact on patient willingness to seek in-person dermatologic care lacks extensive study. Understanding how a pandemic may influence patient motivation to consult a dermatologist may facilitate efficient allocation of health care provider resources both during and after COVID. Participants (n = 416) were recruited through Amazon Mechanical Turk, a web-based survey platform. Subjects were randomized to one of fourteen groups, each entailing a pre-COVID or during-COVID hypothetical scenario of a socially stigmatized skin condition: scalp psoriasis, herpes labialis, acne vulgaris, rosacea, tinea faciei, melanoma, or a benign nevus. Subjects rated their willingness to schedule an in-person dermatology appointment on a 5-point Likert scale (ie, willingness score). Sociodemographic data were collected. Herpes labialis, tinea faciei, and melanoma prompted higher willingness scores during COVID (3.94; 4.03; 3.54) compared with pre-COVID (3.81; 4.0; 3.32); scalp psoriasis, acne vulgaris, rosacea, and benign nevi prompted lower willingness scores during COVID (3.33; 2.88; 3.67; 3.07) compared with pre-COVID (3.93; 3.19; 4.21; 3.7). The benign nevus group displayed the largest decrease in willingness scores from pre-COVID (3.7) to during COVID (3.07). Patients reported higher willingness to seek in-person evaluation for conditions associated with stronger social stigmas, such as scalp psoriasis and herpes labialis, during COVID. We did not control for subject familiarity with each skin condition, and perceived degree of disfigurement was not measured. Patient willingness to seek treatment during COVID may be changing rapidly and, at this time, does not appear to be largely affected by the pandemic.

Impact of COVID-19 on patient willingness to seek in-person dermatologic care
J Am Acad Dermatol. 2021 Sep; 85(3): AB101.