Using the Skin Microbiome to Clear Rosacea

Guide

• Root Admin

skinmicrobiome.png
image courtesy of Blake Hanson, PhD

"We’re mainly concentrated on the gut microbiome (because it seems to be linked to so many modern plagues like obesity, depression and loads of autoimmune diseases), but the skin microbiome is now coming into focus, too....I think in five years no one will use antibacterials anymore, but instead try to grow beneficial bacteria... we’re looking forward to prebiotic skincare becoming a wider-researched and formulated area of the beauty industry." [1]

"The skin microbiota in individuals with rosacea displays changes from that of healthy skin, suggesting that further studies examining a potential role for the skin microbiota in the pathophysiology of rosacea may be warranted. [2]

More on Probiotics

Do You Have a Gut Feeling About Your Rosacea?

Probiotic Research on Rosacea?

Microbiome-based therapeutic strategies

Microorganisms of the Human Microbiome

End Notes

[1] Meet The Pharmacist Putting Bacteria In Your Skincare Regime
GEORGIA MURRA, Refinery29

[2] Am J Clin Dermatol. 2019 Sep 09;:
Characterization and Analysis of the Skin Microbiota in Rosacea: A Case-Control Study.
Rainer BM, Thompson KG, Antonescu C, Florea L, Mongodin EF, Bui J, Fischer AH, Pasieka HB, Garza LA, Kang S, Chien AL

• Guide pinned this topic
  • 4 months later...
  • Root Admin

nutrients-12-01795-g001.jpg
image courtesy of Nutrients

A report concluded, "Overall, probiotics and prebiotics are promising in protecting the skin against UVR-induced skin damage."

Nutrients. 2020 Jun; 12(6): 1795.
Published online 2020 Jun 17. doi: 10.3390/nu12061795
PMCID: PMC7353315
PMID: 32560310
Potential of Skin Microbiome, Pro- and/or Pre-Biotics to Affect Local Cutaneous Responses to UV Exposure
VijayKumar Patra,1,2 Irène Gallais Sérézal,3,4 and Peter Wolf2,*

• 7 months later...

Hi, Thanks for the info. 

I have been taking probiotics while on antibiotics (Lymecycline) and stepped up to stronger ones once I had finished the course.

As I started light flushing while on both  it occurred to me to check out if there were any adverse effects of probiotics. 

So far, while lots of positive stuff, there might be an issue of raised histamine levels with some of the types or certain strains of certain types.  I have a hayfever allergy and pet hay bedding triggered a big spot break out for me a few months ago.

Ones that I have seen  mentioned  by articles/blogs etc possibly  for histamine raising

Lactobacillus Bulgaris

LB   Casei ( not Paracasei)

Streptococous Thermophilius

Possibly no/low histamine -

Bifidobacterium Infantis/Longum. 

LB Plantarum

LB Salivarus

LB Rhamnosus

Bb Breve

Bb Lactis

Bb Bifidum

• Root Admin
5 hours ago, AMY said:

Hi, Thanks for the info. 

I have been taking probiotics while on antibiotics (Lymecycline) and stepped up to stronger ones once I had finished the course.

As I started light flushing while on both  it occurred to me to check out if there were any adverse effects of probiotics. 

So far, while lots of positive stuff, there might be an issue of raised histamine levels with some of the types or certain strains of certain types.  I have a hayfever allergy and pet hay bedding triggered a big spot break out for me a few months ago.

Ones that I have seen  mentioned  by articles/blogs etc possibly  for histamine raising

Lactobacillus Bulgaris

LB   Casei ( not Paracasei)

Streptococous Thermophilius

Possibly no/low histamine -

Bifidobacterium Infantis/Longum. 

LB Plantarum

LB Salivarus

LB Rhamnosus

Bb Breve

Bb Lactis

Bb Bifidum

Amy, 
Not familiar with this subject so glad you brought it up. When I googled 'do probiotics raise histamine levels' I got several websites with the answer but noticed that just about all of them are selling probiotics, which we do have to take with a grain of salt, since they may have a bias in their answer. The top one on the list is Optibac at it's official website says "Lactobacillus paracasei CASEI 431® is a probiotic strain suitable for those with histamine intolerance as it does not produce histamine." The article on this subject does have some impressive references on PubMed. [1]

One source, which appears to be not selling probiotics had this to say on the subject, "Histamine intolerance may occur when there is an overgrowth of bacteria that produce histamine or that make enzymes that interfere with the metabolism of histamine." The two cited sources after this statement are worth investigating. [2]

I would have to do some more research on this and I am impressed with your research into this subject. 

End Notes

[1] Which probiotics for histamine intolerance?, Dr Sasivimol Ahmed
PhD, PGDip (Personalised Nutrition), Dip (Nutritional Therapy)

[2] The Gut Flora-Food Allergies Connection,  Chris Kresser, Kresser Institute
Two cited sources:
32 - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2695393/

33 - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24286351