Lutein with Zeaxanthin for Rosacea

Guide

• Root Admin

Lutein and Zeazanthin is part of of list mentioned in a FAQ: Do Rosaceans Suffer from Nutritional Deficiencies?

Lutein and Zeazanthin - What we know

"In conclusion, the present study indicates that the administration of lutein and zeaxanthin provides multiple benefits to the skin...Although these benefits were obtained regardless of whether lutein and zeaxanthin were administered orally or topically, the study demonstrated that an additional benefit is achieved through the simultaneous administration of these xanthophylls by both routes." [1]

Marcello, a lawyer, says, "Ten days ago, I bought Lutein-Z with zeaxanthin (10 mg) from Jamieson brand and started to take it with Canola oil (to improve lutein's absorption). That, of course, was to protect my eyes and nothing else. Then a couple of days later I noticed that I had no more new pustules on my face. Not a single new one !!! I was honestly wondering what was happening, then I realized that the only thing that could explain it was my new intake of lutein. It's been 10 days now since I took my first pill and my face is still completely clear." [post no. 1] Also see post no 20 in this thread]

"Lutein from Latin luteus meaning "yellow" is a xanthophyll and one of 600 known naturally occurring carotenoids." Wikipedia
"Zeaxanthin is one of the most common carotenoid alcohols found in nature. It is important in the xanthophyll cycle." Wikipedia

Lutein is distantly related to isotretinoin since Lutein is a naturally occurring carotenoid (an organic pigment that have vitamin A activity meaning that Lutein can be converted to retinol), while isotretinoin is a retinoid, "a class of chemical compounds that are vitamers of vitamin A or are chemically related to it." Wikipedia

This may be related to a deficiency of Vitamin A which has been "associated with chronic malabsorption of lipids, impaired bile production and release, and chronic exposure to oxidants, such as cigarette smoke, and chronic alcoholism (in secondary deficiency). Wikipedia

"Dr Lange also likes to add 6 mg of astaxanthin along with some lutein and zeaxanthin in moderate to marked cases of blepharitis for the additional anti inflammatory properties when used together with omega 3." Natural Treatment for Blepharitis by Dr Michael Lange

ElaineA says, "My meibomian glands are making the oily tear film much more easily now. And my eyelids feel and look less swollen. My vision seems much sharper as well. Having a working oily tear film really helps the eyes."

GolfisGreat (post no 131 at RF) reports, "After just four days I am seeing amazing results. I have suffered with palpular rosacea for twenty years, two to ten spots per day are the norm for me. I have had various success with low dose accutane, tea tree oil every topical that has ever been written about on these boards, though none come close to the results that I have seen so far. I'm taking puritans pride 20mg I'm taking two per day.
I am experiencing slightly dry lips, though nothing like as extreme as accutane. I'll report back in a week, I'm already thinking of reducing the dose to 20mg. 
Good luck to anyone else who tries this."

If you decide to try oral Lutein with Zeaxanthin please use our Amazon Affiliate store by clicking on the banners below (we get a small fee if you purchase through our store and you will helping our non profit organization). We have found one topical at Amazon that contains Lutein, Nucerity Rejuvenating Barrier. Another topical containing Lutein is FloraGLO™ Lutein Topical (not available at Amazon). Please post your experience in this thread. Mahalo. 

440px-Raw_egg.jpg
The color of an egg yolk is from the xanthophyll carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin
Image courtesy of Wikipedia

Reply to this Topic

There is a reply to this topic button somewhere on the device you are reading this post. If you never heard about this topic and you learned about it here first, wouldn't it be a gracious act on your part to show your appreciation for this topic by registering with just your email address and show your appreciation with a post?  And if registering is too much to ask, could you post your appreciation for this topic by finding the START NEW TOPIC button in our guest forum where you don't have to register?  We know how many have viewed this topic because our forum software shows the number of views. However, most rosaceans don't engage or show their appreciation for our website and the RRDi would simply ask that you show your appreciation, please, simply by a post.  

End Notes

[1] Skin Pharmacol Physiol 2007;20:199–210  DOI:  10.1159/000101807  
Beneficial Long-Term Effects of Combined Oral/Topical Antioxidant Treatment with the Carotenoids Lutein and Zeaxanthin on Human Skin: A Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study  
P.  Palombo,  G. Fabrizi,  V. Ruocco, E. Ruocco, J. Fluhr, R. Roberts, P.  Morganti 

• 2 months later...
  • Root Admin

I have been taking the 40 mg Lutein/Zeazanthin (10 mg) above from Puritan Pride for nearly two months and I believe it is working. It would be so nice if members of the RRDi would try this for a couple of months, just take one a day, and report your findings in this thread. I have never found anyone, anywhere, on the internet that has recommended taking this for rosacea (if you find any other links recommending this please post them in this thread) that predates Marcelo’s recommendation about this ‘miracle.’ We need more anecdotal reports about this to substantiate that it really is a valid treatment for rosacea. Some have suggested that since both Lutein/Zeazanthin are carotenoids that this is similar to taking a natural ‘isotretinoin’. I did notice that it dries my eyes a lot at first but I seem to be adjusting to it. I still use saline drops to wet my eyes just about every day, particularly when I wake up since my eyes are very dry after sleeping. Please, members, post your experience with this treatment. It is such a cheap treatment and I really believe Marcelo has discovered something useful for rosaceans. See my photos taken 10/17/18 in my other review of the ZZ cream. 

• Root Admin

Thought it would be good to record a history of any mention of Lutein/Zeazanthin for rosacea on the web [a work in progress]:

2001 Lutein for Every Age states, "In several studies, subjects receiving supplements using a combination of beta-carotene, lutein, zeaxanthin and lycopene experienced less erythema – the redness and swelling associated with sunburn – after exposure to UV light." Am J Clin Nutr 2001;73:853-64

2007 "Although a number of in vivo studies have demonstrated the anti-inflammatory effect of lutein, its in vitro anti-inflammatory molecular mechanism of action is unknown." [1]

12/8/2009 David Pascoe, Rosacea Support, posts about a supplement drink called Glowelle that contains among a number of supplements 'lutein and zeaxanthin'

9/20/2011 dryfairskin mentions a “study below that lutein helps reduce nitric oxide levels.” [1]

12/11/2011 mrsmoof asks, “Anyone have success taking Lutein? Possibly with Zeaxanthin?”

8/21/2013 StarNews Online, has an article, Quick reads - Protect your vision; treat rosacea, that mentions eating foods high in Lutein/Zeazanthin

7/20/2014 "Dr Lange also likes to add 6 mg of astaxanthin along with some lutein and zeaxanthin in moderate to marked cases of blepharitis for the additional anti inflammatory properties when used together with omega 3.  He uses an astaxnathin, lutein product he developed called Fortifeye Focus combined with two Fortifeye Super omega for most of his moderate to marked blepharitis cases." [10]

9/27/2015 Dr. Axe posts: Lutein: The Antioxidant That Protects Your Eyes & Skin" (doesn't mention rosacea, just skin disorders)

2016 "Other antioxidants exhibiting photoprotective properties include melatonin, green tea, silymarin, soy isoflavones, lutein, and zeaxanthin." [1]

7/5/2017 RSS News Bot says, “Lutein, a nutrient found in several highly colored vegetables and fruits, can suppress inflammation, according to a new study.”

3/20/2018 Marcello starts the thread, “Lutein appears to be a miracle cure !!!!“

3/24/2018 ElaineA after reading about the above thread by Marcello starts this thread: Lutein & Zeaxanthin for Occular Rosacea / Blepharitis Lid/Gland Inflammation - Tears!

7/17/18 ElaineA at RF in post no 230 in this thread, "I am now taking a Lutein (10 mg) + Zeaxanthin (2 mg) supplement along with my Omega 3 supplements. These supplements have improved my Meibomian Glands function possibly by reducing lid inflammation."

Articles with No Dates 

Dermascope states, "In a more recent double-blinded study with a group of 46 people, skin effects after 12 weeks of treatment with dietary supplements containing the carotenoids lutein (10 milligrams) and zeaxanthin (two milligrams) were measured. Similar to the results with beta-carotene and lycopene, treated participants showed protection from ultraviolet-induced redness compared to placebo-treated participants. There was a two-fold increase in minimal erythemal dose (MED), which is the amount of ultraviolet exposure needed to cause sunburn in people treated with the carotenoid supplements. Volunteers taking the carotenoid supplement also showed an increase in skin firmness and self-reported an improvement in overall skin tone. The levels of lutein and zeaxanthin used for this study are comparable to the amounts in single servings of dark green leafy vegetables, such as kale, spinach, turnip greens, collards, dandelion greens, and mustard greens." [3]

PubMed Artices

"The primary purpose of the Age-Related Eye Disease Study 2 (AREDS2) is to evaluate the efficacy and safety of lutein plus zeaxanthin (L+Z) and/or ω-3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid (LCPUFA) supplementation in reducing the risk of developing advanced AMD." [4]

"Addition of lutein + zeaxanthin, DHA + EPA, or both to the AREDS formulation in primary analyses did not further reduce risk of progression to advanced AMD. However, because of potential increased incidence of lung cancer in former smokers, lutein + zeaxanthin could be an appropriate carotenoid substitute in the AREDS formulation." [5]

"The present study shows significant cytoprotection offered by lutein against MIA-induced oxidative stress, inflammation and apoptosis by the modulatory effect of NF-κB and Nrf2 activation." [6]

"The present study shows the protective role of lutein against Aβ 25-35-induced toxicity by modulating Nrf-2 and NF-κB expressions in cerebrovascular endothelial cells." [7]

"The results of the present study demonstrate for the first time that lutein exerts a cytoprotective role in DON-induced toxicity." [8]

"The non-provitamin A carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin are emerging as important modulators of infant and child visual and cognitive development, as well as critical effectors in the prevention and treatment of morbidity associated with premature births." [9]

Amazon
Lutein with Zeaxanthin at Amazonir?t=rosaresedevei-20&l=ur2&o=1

End Notes

[1] Dietary lutein modulates inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) gene and protein expression in mouse macrophage cells (RAW 264.7)
Mohamed M. Rafi, Yassaman Shafaie
Molecular Nutrition & Food Research
Volume 51, Issue 3, pages 333–340, March 2007

[2] Oxidative stress and antioxidant strategies in dermatology
Redox Report 
Communications in Free Radical Research 
Volume 21, 2016 - Issue 4

[3] Eating Your Way to Terrific Skin
Written by Annette M. Tobia, Ph.D. and Alice Marcy, Ph.D.

[4] Ophthalmology. 2012 Nov;119(11):2282-9. doi: 10.1016/j.ophtha.2012.05.027. Epub 2012 Jul 26.
The Age-Related Eye Disease Study 2 (AREDS2): study design and baseline characteristics (AREDS2 report number 1).
Chew EY, Clemons T, SanGiovanni JP, Danis R, Domalpally A, McBee W, Sperduto R, Ferris FL.

[5] JAMA. 2013 May 15;309(19):2005-15. doi: 10.1001/jama.2013.4997.
Lutein + zeaxanthin and omega-3 fatty acids for age-related macular degeneration: the Age-Related Eye Disease Study 2 (AREDS2) randomized clinical trial.
Age-Related Eye Disease Study 2 Research Group.

[6] Arch Med Sci. 2018 Apr;14(3):617-624. doi: 10.5114/aoms.2016.59871. Epub 2016 May 12.
Lutein prevents osteoarthritis through Nrf2 activation and downregulation of inflammation.
Qiao YQ, Jiang PF, Gao YZ.

[7] Cell Biol Toxicol. 2017 Feb;33(1):57-67. doi: 10.1007/s10565-016-9360-y. Epub 2016 Nov 22.
Lutein protects against β-amyloid peptide-induced oxidative stress in cerebrovascular endothelial cells through modulation of Nrf-2 and NF-κb.
Liu T, Liu WH, Zhao JS, Meng FZ, Wang H.

[8] Free Radic Biol Med. 2010 Jul 1;49(1):50-60. doi: 10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2010.03.016. Epub 2010 Mar 27.
Lutein protects HT-29 cells against Deoxynivalenol-induced oxidative stress and apoptosis: prevention of NF-kappaB nuclear localization and down regulation of NF-kappaB and Cyclo-Oxygenase-2 expression.
Krishnaswamy R, Devaraj SN, Padma VV.

[9] Arch Biochem Biophys. 2018 Jun 1;647:33-40. doi: 10.1016/j.abb.2018.04.008. Epub 2018 Apr 11.
Lutein, zeaxanthin and mammalian development: Metabolism, functions and implications for health.
Giordano E, Quadro L.

[10] Natural Treatment for blepharitis by Dr Michael Lange

• 4 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

"Lutein and zeaxanthin supplementation effectively whitens the skin and improves skin health attributes. There were no marked adverse effects."

Advances in Nutrition, Volume 7, Issue 1, 1 January 2016, Pages 50A
Skin-Whitening and Overall Skin Tone–Improving Effects of Oral Supplementation with Lutein and Zeaxanthin Isomers: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial 
Vijaya Juturu,  Alain Khaiat,  Jayant Deshpande
PubMED

• Guide pinned this topic
  • Root Admin

Skin Pharmacol Physiol 2007;20:199–210  DOI:  10.1159/000101807  
Beneficial Long-Term Effects of Combined Oral/Topical Antioxidant Treatment with the Carotenoids Lutein and Zeaxanthin on Human Skin: A Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study  
P.  Palombo,  G. Fabrizi,  V. Ruocco, E. Ruocco, J. Fluhr, R. Roberts, P.  Morganti 

• 1 month later...

I’m wondering if anyone has continued this treatment and would share results. I took my first oil today and plan to continue to just for the antioxidant effects. 
I wake up with a few to many p&ps daily and am experimenting with the results.

• Root Admin
2 hours ago, Ashley Auld said:

I’m wondering if anyone has continued this treatment and would share results. I took my first oil today and plan to continue to just for the antioxidant effects. 
I wake up with a few to many p&ps daily and am experimenting with the results.

I continue to take the Puritan Pride Lutein/Zeazanthin because I do think it helps dry my oily skin and as you point out, for the 'antioxidant effects' and I think it is similar to taking an oral retinoid since Lutein/Zeazanthin is actually a xanthophylls (carotenoid) that 'is a virulence factor with an antioxidant action that helps the microbe evade death by reactive oxygen species used by the host immune system."  

It may improve the eyes as well. We haven't had other anecdotal reports that it clears rosacea as Marcel the attorney raves about in his initial report. Keep us posted on your results. It has not cured my rosacea, but I still think it is worth taking daily. I take one a day.