Autumn and Rosacea Flare-ups

Apurva Tathe

• Administrators

Why does rosacea flare in autumn? And the reason is:

Autumn brings with it cool temperature and dryness in the air and what about rosacea? Yes you are right I have found that rosacea flare makes its way through autumn and gets worsen in winters. Throughout the year I do not get much flare-ups than I get with the onset of autumn and the reason is cool and dry air and the body’s temperature regulation or thermoregulation. After the humid season the climate changes and the temperature suddenly drops down with cool and dry air which draws the moisture from your skin and makes it dry and itchy causing rosacea flare-ups plus dust, mold and pollen in the air increase during fall that cause allergy and then the body sends signal to release white blood cells to the skin and trigger flare-ups.

So here is what you can do to prevent rosacea flare-ups besides medications :

1.       Drink lots of water to keep your body cool as you drink during summer because we tend to reduce water intake during autumn and winter and this makes our skin dry and itchy.

2.       Give your skin a boost of good moisturizer that is fragrant free and chemical free on damp skin. I sometimes simply apply coconut oil to the affected area and it gives so much relief.

3.       Avoid direct sun and cover your face when you go out and always apply a good sunscreen which suits your skin best with an SPF of 15 or higher and it should be mineral based not chemical based   because mineral based sunscreen gives less irritation and protects your skin from both UVA and UVB rays.

4.       Alcohol and hot drinks are associated with redness and flushing and our consumption increases when the weather becomes cool and that is one of the reasons of flaring. Avoid consuming alcohol and hot drinks too often and let it cool down before you drink.

5.       Maintain the temperature of room heater because as you go in and out your body senses the temperature difference and so does your skin and makes it dry and flushed.

6.       I have noticed that the use of normal woolen wear makes skin dry and flushed more often so I instead wear flannel clothes for body warming and it does not give frequent flares.