Can Rosacea Go Into Remission?

Guide

• Root Admin

Trailer Below (longer version scroll down - complete article keep scrolling down)

Watch the ten minute version below:

Some Anecdotal Reports Say Yes

an editorial by Brady Barrows

This subject is an interesting one since this gives rosaceans hope if rosacea goes into remission. Does it?

According to Dr. Tony Chu, "Eventually the problem will go away..." [1] The quote is purported to be from an article in the Daily Mail published in the UK and Dr. Chu qualifies the statement with, "But it can last for 6 months to 20 years - so do see somebody about treatment." [1]

Remission  - What Does it Mean?
Also, it is important to note that the word remission means different things to different people so it really depends on the context how the word is used. For example, a couple of articles seem to reflect this hope of rosacea going into remission:

"In a majority of subjects studied, continued treatment with metronidazole gel alone maintains remission of moderate to severe rosacea induced by treatment with oral tetracycline and topical metronidazole gel."
Topical metronidazole maintains remission of rosacea.
Dahl MV, Katz HI, Krueger GG, Millikan LE, Odom RB, Parker F, Wolf JE Jr, Aly R, Bayles C, Reusser B, Weidner M, Coleman E, Patrignelli R, Tuley MR, Baker MO, Herndon JH Jr, Czernielewski JM.

Use of topical products for maintaining remission in rosacea. Wilkin JK

Ivermectin 1% cream extends rosacea remission, By Lisette Hilton, March 24, 2016, Dermatology Times [2]

Remission of rosacea induced by reduction of gut transit time., Kendall S, Clin Exp Dermatol. 2004 May;29(3):297-9.

Based upon the above articles, using the term 'remission' in rosacea is quite broad. The first article says that "In a majority of subjects studied, continued treatment with metronidazole gel alone maintains remission of moderate to severe rosacea induced by treatment with oral tetracycline and topical metronidazole gel." The remission is with 'moderate to severe rosacea' which qualifies the remission. The second article has no abstract available but also uses the term remission. The third article 'extends' remission while the fourth article remission is 'induced.' 

To show you how 'remission' means different things to different people, read the first thread started by Judworth on June 11, 2010. In this thread there are several links to remission topics that show you how varied the term is used amongst professionals and with rosacea sufferers.

Partial Remission
Apparently remission has the meaning of "a temporary or permanent decrease or subsidence of manifestations of a disease" according to this dictionary.

There is a discussion of 'partial remission' which simply means your rosacea signs/symptoms have gone away or reduced to very little but you will continue controlling your rosacea with treatment. [3]

Rosacea may completely clear up for a time but then return. "Although the condition may improve (go into remission) for a while without treatment, it is often followed by a worsening of symptoms (redness, pimples, red lines or nasal bumps) that progresses over time." Rosacea, The Dermatology Clinic of Indiana

"But treatment doesn't cure ocular rosacea. It often recurs after an apparent remission." Ocular Rosacea, Mayo Clinic

Complete Remission
Complete remission means no signs/symptoms of rosacea without treatment for five years. 

Remission involves no symptoms or signs of a disease for at least five years (the cancer five year no evidence of disease [NED] example)

Anecdotal Reports of Remission
Here are a few anecdotal reports that rosacea does indeed go into remission. One problem with these reports is there is no follow up on whether these rosacea sufferers remain in remission or for how long they remain in remission. All we have is what is collected below:

Jeff ONeil

dryeyeday

khm4aim

rigsbycjr

alison052077

jasper_vadermy rosacea did not go into remission

kerri-ann price

Hy Tran

susetlaida

mgallallager

Tuck1620

Where's the Blush?

MayaS post #2

Countrygirl post #6

DianaLynn  says, "I have been in remission for well over a year." 

If you have any more reports please post them in this thread. What are your thoughts on rosacea remission? Find the REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button and let us know. 

Conclusion
The RRDi does agree that rosacea can apparently go into remission, but it can return. So remission is not a cure. 

Reply to this Topic

There is a reply to this topic button somewhere on the device you are reading this post. 

End Notes

[1] Dr. Tony Chu, consultant dermatologist at London's Hammersmith Hospital, quote taken from the Daily Mail You magazine by Peter, Board index ‹ Rosacea Research and News, Rosacea Support Community 

[2] The link to the Dermatology article by Lisette Hilton is no longer active. A similar use of the word 'remission' is shown below in this article on PubMed:

Dermatol Venereol. 2016 May;30(5):829-36.  doi: 10.1111/jdv.13537. Epub 2015 Dec 21.
Maintenance of remission following successful treatment of papulopustular rosacea with ivermectin 1% cream vs. metronidazole 0.75% cream: 36-week extension of the ATTRACT randomized study
A Taieb, A Khemis, T Ruzicka, W Barańska-Rybak, J Berth-Jones, J Schauber, P Briantais, J Jacovella, T Passeron, Ivermectin Phase III Study Group

[3] "In a study of rosacea sufferers over a six-month period, 77 percent of the patients who maintained long-term therapy remained in remission, while 42 percent of those who did not experienced a relapse."
Topical metronidazole maintains remission of rosacea.
Dahl MV, Katz HI, Krueger GG, Millikan LE, Odom RB, Parker F, Wolf JE Jr, Aly R, Bayles C, Reusser B, Weidner M, Coleman E, Patrignelli R, Tuley MR, Baker MO, Herndon JH Jr, Czernielewski JM.

"Once the disease is in remission, many people can stay symptom-free by continuing to apply the topical medication faithfully. In fact, one six-month study found that 77 percent of rosacea patients who continued long-term topical therapy stayed in remission. About 42 percent of those who didn't follow the treatment plan had a relapse of symptoms." Can Rosacea Go into Remission?, Healthguides, Healthgrades 

"Lifelong treatment is often necessary, although some cases resolve after a while and go into a permanent remission." Adult and Pediatric Dermatology

"Medical opinion does not deny that Rosacea can and does go into remission." Your Journey To Rosacea Remission, Rosacea Nutritional Advice, Pulse Light Clinic 

• Guide pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
  • MAC Member

I believe it can. I had rosacea for 20 years which only got worse over the years. I have been rosacea free since February 2020 after beginning natural treatments involving gut, liver, detoxes, and demodex mite control. I started my natural treatments in December 2019 and continue to have clear skin.

Every day I find more and more people with similar stories to mine. It's real, you just don't hear about it. 

I wrote my story in a blog with a list of resources to help heal gut, liver, demodex, heavy metal toxicity, etc. 

Here is the link! Hope it will be helpful to some of you. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I work as a medical assistant for a dermatologist. I definitely think it is a possibility for rosacea to through periods of remissions and flare-ups. This can be due to environmental factors as well as psychological factors. 

• Administrators
On 1/17/2021 at 10:59 AM, Sam_Allred said:

I work as a medical assistant for a dermatologist. I definitely think it is a possibility for rosacea to through periods of remissions and flare-ups. This can be due to environmental factors as well as psychological factors. 

Yes you are right. sometimes it goes through periods of remission and then flare-ups and there are a lot of factors and I believe that skin has its own memory of everything which it goes through whether it be environmental factors or psychological.

• Guide unpinned this topic