Tea and Rosacea

Guide

• Root Admin

320px-Nice_Cup_of_Tea.jpg

Usually, coffee is the trigger mentioned in rosacea social media groups, in any discussion about rosacea and sometimes even physicians mention coffee to their patients. However a recent study of 2063 participants (you should try to get that many participants together and get them to fill out a questionnaire) who were asked about tea consumption with their rosacea. The results of this study indicate, "non-fermented tea (aOR 2.172; 95% CI 1.562-3.022), and hot tea (aOR 2.793; 95% CI 1.796-1.344) were associated with an increased risk of rosacea. Further results showed that these tea drinking behaviours were significantly associated with an increased risk of flushing (aOR 1.41; 95% CI 1.07-1.87) and erythema (aOR 1.48; 95% CI 1.10-2.00). Tea drinking behaviour is closely related to rosacea." 

RRDi Membership is free. Learn more. Image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

2 studies, one on hot coffee and one on hot tea, both alleged to cause or trigger rosacea or flushing.   Neither study tested any other drink including food neutral hot water.   It is possible that in both cases the heat caused the issues with rosacea symptoms like flushing rather than the specific drink.

It is possible to find meaningless statistical correlations between a common food or beverage and a common disease.  A better test would have been to compare drinking hot beverages vs. drinking the same beverage at room temperature vs. drinking hot water vs. drinking room temperature water.

• Root Admin
1 hour ago, ElaineA said:

2 studies, one on hot coffee and one on hot tea, both alleged to cause or trigger rosacea or flushing.   Neither study tested any other drink including food neutral hot water.   It is possible that in both cases the heat caused the issues with rosacea symptoms like flushing rather than the specific drink.

It is possible to find meaningless statistical correlations between a common food or beverage and a common disease.  A better test would have been to compare drinking hot beverages vs. drinking the same beverage at room temperature vs. drinking hot water vs. drinking room temperature water.

Good point. The papers on coffee point this out. There may be evidence that caffeine triggers a flush, but there is no evidence that coffee or tea causes a rosacea flareup. Usually the confusion is when rosaceans think flushing is rosacea or rosacea is flushing, which adds to this quandary. However, if avoiding flushing is important to a rosacean, then it would be prudent to carefully avoid caffeine induced flushing. 

• Administrators
20 hours ago, Guide said:

Good point. The papers on coffee point this out. There may be evidence that caffeine triggers a flush, but there is no evidence that coffee or tea causes a rosacea flareup. Usually the confusion is when rosaceans think flushing is rosacea or rosacea is flushing, which adds to this quandary. However, if avoiding flushing is important to a rosacean, then it would be prudent to carefully avoid caffeine induced flushing. 

Correct point. Rather you can decrease the consumption of tea and coffee. I myself drink tea regularly and sometimes coffee instead of tea but I never get any flushing. Drinking only one cup of tea or coffee in a whole day is OK but if you drink more than one cup will definitely cause flushing and not good for health.

• 3 months later...
  • Root Admin
2 hours ago, Miss said:

Is green tea a trigger?  I drink a lot every day.  I don't seem to notice a difference after I drink it.  Could it just be affecting my baseline redness?

Green tea hasn't been on an rosacea trigger list. What is on most rosacea trigger lists is HOT BEVERAGES may cause a flush, whether it is green tea, black tea, white tea, coffee, hot water, etc. 

FOR MORE INFORMATION

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Miss said:

Is green tea a trigger?  I drink a lot every day.  I don't seem to notice a difference after I drink it.  Could it just be affecting my baseline redness?

and anything which you are consuming a lot may cause trigger. Drink but one or two times a day and see if it changes anything because you need to watch what triggers you or what not.