Fasting for Rosacea?

Guide

• Root Admin

Would fasting improve rosacea? One recent report says, "Another study performed by Smith et al. in 2008 has shown the beneficial impact of caloric restriction on acne vulgaris lesions. This was explained by decreased sebum production, which thereby counterbalances one of the main factors in the pathogenesis of acne vulgaris.....Despite such important practical implications, this topic has been neglected in the existing scholarly literature, when it deserves further research. High-quality randomized controlled trials (RCTs) should be conducted to systematically explore and compare different fasting protocols, including the use of vegetables and fruits for caloric and metabolic manipulations." [1]

Wouldn't it be a novel idea to get 10K RRDi members together and each donate one dollar and offer $10K to one of our RRDi MAC members to conduct a clinical trial on this. 

Reply to this Topic

There is a reply to this topic button somewhere on the device you are reading this post. If you never heard about this topic and you learned about it here first, wouldn't it be a gracious act on your part to show your appreciation for this topic by registering with just your email address and show your appreciation with a post?  And if registering is too much to ask, could you post your appreciation for this topic by finding the START NEW TOPIC button in our guest forum where you don't have to register?  We know how many have viewed this topic because our forum software shows the number of views. However, most rosaceans don't engage or show their appreciation for our website and the RRDi would simply ask that you show your appreciation, please, simply by a post.  

End Notes

[1] Fasting and Its Impact on Skin Anatomy, Physiology, and Physiopathology: A Comprehensive Review of the Literature

• Administrators

Thank you admin for this post. Yes, This is true to some extent that fasting improves skin condition. In Indian culture, fasting is a religious thing that we devote to god and there are different types of fasting which we perform. Whole fasting in which you can have only water no food items and intermittent fasting in which you can have only one time meal and one more fasting in which you can have only fast related food items like fruits or veggies all day.

I have done all the different fasting techniques and I am always doing this and I have found a lot of times that when I fast my visible blood capillaries get constricted and my skin quality looks improved and the puffiness due to rosacea is reduced to some extent. Calories restriction and flushing out of toxins due to having only water in fasting are few things which we can count on but at the cellular and molecular level what happens inside the cell when we fast which contributes to the improvement of skin condition needs to be researched.

• 1 year later...
On 4/14/2019 at 10:01 PM, Apurva Tathe said:

Thank you admin for this post. Yes, This is true to some extent that fasting improves skin condition. In Indian culture, fasting is a religious thing that we devote to god and there are different types of fasting which we perform. Whole fasting in which you can have only water no food items and intermittent fasting in which you can have only one time meal and one more fasting in which you can have only fast related food items like fruits or veggies all day.

I have done all the different fasting techniques and I am always doing this and I have found a lot of times that when I fast my visible blood capillaries get constricted and my skin quality looks improved and the puffiness due to rosacea is reduced to some extent. Calories restriction and flushing out of toxins due to having only water in fasting are few things which we can count on but at the cellular and molecular level what happens inside the cell when we fast which contributes to the improvement of skin condition needs to be researched.

I also practice fasting.  Mostly intermittent, and once I am in a routine, I will  do a 24 hour fast once per month. I do find it helpful  in reducing my flushing and  facial inflammation. However, initially,  it can make me redder, until my body adjusts. I imagine the cause of this will likely be partly  metabolic and partly temporary increased endotoxin from the gut  as microbial communities are reduced. 

Some time ago, I   found the following study which states that the TRPV1 receptor is degraded during starvation.  

Does this mean the gene expression is reduced? Given the fact the TRPV receptors are expressed abnormally in rosacea skin, and  in particular, the TRPV1 is overly expressed in the skin of flushers (Gallo's Research), then fasting should be considered a first line  non invasive treatment for  rosacea and many other inflammatory conditions. 

I am not clear on the terminology however. Does degraded mean down regulation of genes in this context?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3969047/

In any case, fasting has proven helpful for many conditions throughout the ages, even if we don't yet fully comprehend all the benefits. 

It also has a positive impact on gut flora. 

In addition, it should help prevent and/or resolve SIBO.

• Administrators
21 hours ago, Mistica said:

I also practice fasting.  Mostly intermittent, and once I am in a routine, I will  do a 24 hour fast once per month. I do find it helpful  in reducing my flushing and  facial inflammation. However, initially,  it can make me redder, until my body adjusts. I imagine the cause of this will likely be partly  metabolic and partly temporary increased endotoxin from the gut  as microbial communities are reduced. 

Some time ago, I   found the following study which states that the TRPV1 receptor is degraded during starvation.  

Does this mean the gene expression is reduced? Given the fact the TRPV receptors are expressed abnormally in rosacea skin, and  in particular, the TRPV1 is overly expressed in the skin of flushers (Gallo's Research), then fasting should be considered a first line  non invasive treatment for  rosacea and many other inflammatory conditions. 

I am not clear on the terminology however. Does degraded mean down regulation of genes in this context?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3969047/

In any case, fasting has proven helpful for many conditions throughout the ages, even if we don't yet fully comprehend all the benefits. 

It also has a positive impact on gut flora. 

In addition, it should help prevent and/or resolve SIBO.

Hello Mistica, Welcome to the RRDi

TRPV1 is actually a protein and is encoded by TRPV1 gene and works as an ion channel and is a sensory transducer means activated by various physical and chemical stimuli and one such is inflammatory mediators and TRPV1 is degraded means there is a process called autophagy in which every cellular waste materials or foreign bodies get degraded. Simply they are eaten because they are not necessary and can cause any condition in our body if autophagy does not work properly such as cancer and in study it is proven that when we do long hours of fasting autophagy starts and works properly. because our body's life energy has two work digestion and healing. If we only eat throughout the day our body only digests and not heal because we are not giving it time to do the process of healing and it is only working toward digestion and when we fast for longer duration then it is free from the work of digestion and starts healing. I have written one post on this. Check it out here:

6 minutes ago, Apurva Tathe said:

Hello Mistica, Welcome to the RRDi

TRPV1 is actually a protein and is encoded by TRPV1 gene and works as an ion channel and is a sensory transducer means activated by various physical and chemical stimuli and one such is inflammatory mediators and TRPV1 is degraded means there is a process called autophagy in which every cellular waste materials or foreign bodies get degraded. Simply they are eaten because they are not necessary and can cause any condition in our body if autophagy does not work properly such as cancer and in study it is proven that when we do long hours of fasting autophagy starts and works properly. because our body's life energy has two work digestion and healing. If we only eat throughout the day our body only digests and not heal because we are not giving it time to do the process of healing and it is only working toward digestion and when we fast for longer duration then it is free from the work of digestion and starts healing. I have written one post on this. Check it out here:

Thanks for your reply.   

What I was leaning towards though, is  that given the ion channels in the faces of rosaceans are abnormal and TRPV1 in particular has been  found to be overly expressed, fasting seems an ideal way to  reduce this and also to perhaps reset the balance and activity of the others.  If balance could be restored, the facial inflammation and hyper activity should settle down. I realise fasting also improves the state of the gut flora and by extension, less inflammatory signals are being sent to the face.   

Have you been able to   significantly reduce your  facial symptoms permanently with diet and fasting? Or do they  return at some point  after reintroducing food?

Fasting and dietary interventions are not enough for me. I have to take a number of supplements and also  use topical treatments.

I am going to take a detour here.

I use ZZ cream (Brady's favourite) and  a gel I have compounded containing 4% niacinamide, (the most important), 2% LMW HA, 2% ethyl ascorbate. The gel, ie the vehicle is just as important as the active ingredients as it is benign with an elastic type nature, acting  as a brace against the neon sign type of flushing, which can lead to  worsening symptoms. I mix this with the ZZ cream. It leaves a very nice finish when dry. 

It is my opinion that the benefits we get from the ZZ cream, have little to nothing to do with killing demodex, but rather, as  one or more  ingredients interacts with and modifies  the  ion channels in our faces, thereby reducing inflammation. The most obvious is the menthol which  interacts with the TRMP8 (at least) as you know. I read it is now known it interacts with the TRPA1 and neurotransmitter receptors. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3778045/

Dietary menthol alas attenuates inflammation.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31648306/

If I  eat a lot of junk food, or simply stray from my regular diet, I  will  invariably develop outbreaks of papules or pustules on my face. 

ZZ cream can help heal these. However, they don't cease, until I tend to my gut. I should note, that they don't heal properly either, with ZZ cream.

If I flush really badly, which has been rare since my latest experiment (I won't go into that here), I will develop outbreaks of P&P's within 24 hours. Again, ZZ cream helps heal these, but won't prevent new ones. Well to be fair, I imagine it reduces the amount I would  get if I were not using the cream.

Therefore I am very suspicious about the role of demodex in the faces of most people.

Do you agree with my  thoughts on the therapeutic action of ZZ cream? 

Or  can you offer any other type of insight as to it's possible actions?

• Administrators
On 12/18/2020 at 11:47 AM, Mistica said:

Thanks for your reply.   

What I was leaning towards though, is  that given the ion channels in the faces of rosaceans are abnormal and TRPV1 in particular has been  found to be overly expressed, fasting seems an ideal way to  reduce this and also to perhaps reset the balance and activity of the others.  If balance could be restored, the facial inflammation and hyper activity should settle down. I realise fasting also improves the state of the gut flora and by extension, less inflammatory signals are being sent to the face.   

Have you been able to   significantly reduce your  facial symptoms permanently with diet and fasting? Or do they  return at some point  after reintroducing food?

Fasting and dietary interventions are not enough for me. I have to take a number of supplements and also  use topical treatments.

I am going to take a detour here.

I use ZZ cream (Brady's favourite) and  a gel I have compounded containing 4% niacinamide, (the most important), 2% LMW HA, 2% ethyl ascorbate. The gel, ie the vehicle is just as important as the active ingredients as it is benign with an elastic type nature, acting  as a brace against the neon sign type of flushing, which can lead to  worsening symptoms. I mix this with the ZZ cream. It leaves a very nice finish when dry. 

It is my opinion that the benefits we get from the ZZ cream, have little to nothing to do with killing demodex, but rather, as  one or more  ingredients interacts with and modifies  the  ion channels in our faces, thereby reducing inflammation. The most obvious is the menthol which  interacts with the TRMP8 (at least) as you know. I read it is now known it interacts with the TRPA1 and neurotransmitter receptors. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3778045/

Dietary menthol alas attenuates inflammation.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31648306/

If I  eat a lot of junk food, or simply stray from my regular diet, I  will  invariably develop outbreaks of papules or pustules on my face. 

ZZ cream can help heal these. However, they don't cease, until I tend to my gut. I should note, that they don't heal properly either, with ZZ cream.

If I flush really badly, which has been rare since my latest experiment (I won't go into that here), I will develop outbreaks of P&P's within 24 hours. Again, ZZ cream helps heal these, but won't prevent new ones. Well to be fair, I imagine it reduces the amount I would  get if I were not using the cream.

Therefore I am very suspicious about the role of demodex in the faces of most people.

Do you agree with my  thoughts on the therapeutic action of ZZ cream? 

Or  can you offer any other type of insight as to it's possible actions?

Everything what you apply outside will somewhat work only to reduce them a little but will not cure the root cause and the root cause is your internal system mainly your gut because you know that gut has immense immunity and microflora too and yes fasting improves everything and do not take it as a ritual to do in a particular day but make it a regular regimen. See if you eat you last meal (dinner) atleast at 7pm and after then you do not eat anything, simply having water and then you have your next day breakfast at 10 or 11am then you have given your gut a long time to digest your food and to heal your condition. Try to eat such foods which take less time to digest so that your body has more time to heal.

Yes I have been able to significantly reduce my facial symptoms with diets and fasting but I will be true, I sometimes am not able to maintain such diet and fasting due to some other conditions like when I am travelling or when I am someone's home and if I am not able to maintain then my skin tells me that yes  something is wrong going on inside.

I agree with your thoughts but I have never used any topical treatment after my oral and topical antibiotics in my early rosacea experience and then I left everything topical and work on inside. I will tell you one more experiment which I will start and then I will share that experience with you and then I will elaborate what I do.