How yeast infection can aggravate the condition of rosacea

Apurva Tathe

• Administrators

While talking about rosacea there are so many things and factors to consider. Even if you are trying everything to help control this condition, skipping just one thing is enough for its persistency. A few days ago I suddenly had a sandy rough patchy and scaly skin texture on already flushed skin which was aggravating the condition of inflammation altogether. I already have controlled and managed rosacea but only relapse with the onset of fall and continue with winter but If I describe the condition of my skin, it was a skin barrier texture which was not allowing anything if applying topically. It was as if my skin lipids were severely imbalanced. I could not understand what made this condition to appear but I was on with my internal and external cure. It was a little bit resolved but then I examined the pattern of that condition appeared and did a lot of research and found the pattern resembled to yeast infection may be to blame because I had very rough papules like appearance around my mouth and jawline which was quite itchy and again I remembered how I took the treatment regimen when I had seborrheic dermatitis and It was completely gone. Now I considered my severe scalp dandruff and I correlated everything from my scalp flakiness to my intense flushing and on top of that sandy rough flaky skin. Usually I get flare-ups in this season but do not bother much like pain and burning sensation and pruritus but this time it was bothering much and I decided to give it a try the same treatment regimen I had during Seborrheic dermatitis because the treatment regimen for SD and yeast infection are same so I washed my face at night with Ketoconazole 2% with Zinc Pyrithione 1% lotion and the next morning I found a drastic change in my skin as if it is restored to its natural balance and then I washed my hair with that same lotion and I am going to continue this for few days.

The major change and outcome I discovered with respect to overall condition :

When I treated this condition with ketoconazole and zinc pyrithione the next day I got very mild flare-up and was not flushing for prolonged period but before that I was getting frequent flare-ups and the flushing was consistent, intense, burning and painful . So I discovered how a yeast or fungal infection can also aggravate the condition of rosacea and even go further can cause the aberrant hyperactive immune function in play. Besides parasites and bacteria how yeast or fungus can play with immune system with respect to rosacea needs to be more discovered.

• Root Admin

Apurva, 

My dermatologist told me that I have SD on my forehead and into the hair. For about three months I have now had some issues similar on the back of my head just above the neck that has not responded to my normal shampoo, Coal Tar (I usually use a generic T-Gel from Walmart or CVS), so I tried using Nizorol (Ketoconazole) brand shampoo which did improve the issue but it simply didn't go away. What really helped was using an old jar of Sulfur Butter from a tip Joanne Whitehead posted a while back. We do feature it in our affiliate store but when I tried to purchase another jar it wasn't available on Amazon. So I contacted the Braunfels Labs company website, and it is no longer listed. So I contacted the company asking what happened and got a response from DP Davidson, who explained that the Sulfur Butter is still available but on a different website, sulfursoap.com.  So I ordered another jar since this cream contains the following ingredients: 

sulfurbutteringredients.png

Your experience and mine indicates that fungus and rosacea (yeast is a fungus) has not been ruled out and even though SD and rosacea can co-exist, there is probably some relationship between the two skin diseases. Not sure what ingredient in the Sulfur Butter is improving my fungus issue in my scalp but I think the Shea Butter, Hemp Oil, Avocado Oil and Jojoba Oil may have something to do with it along with the sulfur. 

Reply to this Topic

There is a reply to this topic button somewhere on the device you are reading this post. If you never heard about this topic and you learned about it here first, wouldn't it be a gracious act on your part to show your appreciation for this topic by registering with just your email address and show your appreciation with a post?  And if registering is too much to ask, could you post your appreciation for this topic by finding the START NEW TOPIC button in our guest forum where you don't have to register?  We know how many have viewed this topic because our forum software shows the number of views. However, most rosaceans don't engage or show their appreciation for our website and the RRDi would simply ask that you show your appreciation, please, simply by a post.  

• Administrators
On 2/11/2020 at 8:34 PM, Admin said:

Apurva, 

My dermatologist told me that I have SD on my forehead and into the hair. For about three months I have now had some issues similar on the back of my head just above the neck that has not responded to my normal shampoo, Coal Tar (I usually use a generic T-Gel from Walmart or CVS), so I tried using Nizorol (Ketoconazole) brand shampoo which did improve the issue but it simply didn't go away. What really helped was using an old jar of Sulfur Butter from a tip Joanne Whitehead posted a while back. We do feature it in our affiliate store but when I tried to purchase another jar it wasn't available on Amazon. So I contacted the Braunfels Labs company website, and it is no longer listed. So I contacted the company asking what happened and got a response from DP Davidson, who explained that the Sulfur Butter is still available but on a different website, sulfursoap.com.  So I ordered another jar since this cream contains the following ingredients: 

sulfurbutteringredients.png

Your experience and mine indicates that fungus and rosacea has not been ruled out and even though SD and rosacea can co-exist, there is probably some relationship between the two skin diseases. Not sure what ingredient in the Sulfur Butter is improving my fungus issue in my scalp but I think the Shea Butter, Hemp Oil, Avocado Oil and Jojoba Oil may have something to do with it along with the sulfur. 

Yes I also have used shea butter a while back and what helped shea butter in that it soothes out the itching sensation and absorbs in skin like I have applied nothing. It really helped a lot. I also had SD and it went with the use of ketoconazole with zinc pyrithione lotion but this time the experience of dry crusty pimple like rough appearance around the mouth and jaw line really indicates how the yeast overgrowth and rosacea play a vital role in inflammatory response and I agree with you that it has not been ruled out and how treating the secondary condition automatically controlled the primary condition with less flushing experience. So we can observe that besides demodex mites other microbial flora this time fungus can play a vital role in aberrant inflammatory response and fungus may play a role in interacting with resident immune cells.

• Administrators

I have been noticing the fact that how all the factors come together in an interplay to cause any condition and how paying attention to the factors and working with them would relieve you from the symptoms. My yeast overgrowth was aggravating my flushing, my blood vessels had become very dilated and at one point my skin was a full dry land and I coincidentally conversed with Dr. O’Desky our MAC member and she understood the condition and asked me to do gut cleaning. I was already a little bit resolved with the condition but did gut cleaning and not only gut cleaning but I have had such foods which kept my gut pH alkaline and I was already washing my face and scalp with ketoconazole with zinc pyrithione lotion and now my skin is in good condition not only yeast overgrowth was reduced but my intense prolonged flushing is at bay, meaning very mild flushing and one more thing I have considered, the environmental factor. My skin has withstood the extremities of temperature frequency  this season. So I was on with my internal and external cure meanwhile when the favorable temperature stability came it automatically helped to get my skin breathe and respond to the cure. So I observed how gut microbiota and skin microbiota are in close connection with each other and not only skin microbiota but gut microbiota also reacts and responds to the environmental factors. So I concluded how skin microbiota overgrowth and then its stability was responding to gut and temperature changes and how in turn that yeast growth was controlling the already existing inflammation of the skin.

• 5 months later...
  • Root Admin

Apurva, 

I have been having scalp issues toward the back of my neck and sides of the scalp and have used the following treatments: 

Over the counter 
Equate Anti-Dandruff Therapeutic Shampoo (T Gel)
Baby Shampoo
Cotrimazole cream
Nizoral (ketoconazole 1%) shampoo
Braunfels Labs Sulfur Butter Cream 'n Ointment
Zhongzhou Cream
Sesderma Sebovalis Facial Gel (key ingredients 8% lithium gluconate -  0.5% Piroctone olamine - 4.5% glycolic acid - Calendula extract)
Yesto tea tree scalp treatment
Aqua Vive

Prescription 
Doxycycline 100 mg twice a day for twenty days 
Fluocinolone Acetonide Topical Oil

So far nothing has resolved the issue. On Wednesday I will be seeing a new dermatologist and hopefully will get her recommendation on this issue. 

Update on this dated January 16, 2021: 
I used Azelaic Acid on this issue which seems to help, then I tried putting a tablespoon of Tea Tree Oil into about six ounces of Baby Shampoo and used this up and sometimes putting full strength Tea Tree Oil on some of the itchy spots on my scalp and this seems to be working better than anything. I will be continuing the tea tree oil with baby shampoo treatment for a while. 

• Administrators
On 8/18/2020 at 2:43 AM, Admin said:

Apurva, 

I have been having scalp issues toward the back of my neck and sides of the scalp and have used the following treatments: 

Over the counter 
Equate Anti-Dandruff Therapeutic Shampoo (T Gel)
Baby Shampoo
Cotrimazole cream
Nizoral (ketoconazole 1%) shampoo
Braunfels Labs Sulfur Butter Cream 'n Ointment
Zhongzhou Cream
Sesderma Sebovalis Facial Gel (key ingredients 8% lithium gluconate -  0.5% Piroctone olamine - 4.5% glycolic acid - Calendula extract)
Yesto tea tree scalp treatment
Aqua Vive

Prescription 
Doxycycline 100 mg twice a day for twenty days 
Fluocinolone Acetonide Topical Oil

So far nothing has resolved the issue. On Wednesday I will be seeing a new dermatologist and hopefully will get her recommendation on this issue. 

Yes it would be a good idea to get the recommendation of another dermatologist and please share what did she recommend and prescribe you.

I always have this thing in winter season when the weather is chilled and automatically goes when the temperature goes normal and the rest of the year though I get rosacea flare ups but this seborrhea does not bother me. I think everyone has their own story to say with these things. If anyone has noticed this yeast overgrowth with their rosacea which causes flakiness and extremely disturbed skin barrier like rough sandy surface. please share your story.

• Root Admin
On 8/20/2020 at 11:16 AM, Apurva Tathe said:

Yes it would be a good idea to get the recommendation of another dermatologist and please share what did she recommend and prescribe you.

I always have this thing in winter season when the weather is chilled and automatically goes when the temperature goes normal and the rest of the year though I get rosacea flare ups but this seborrhea does not bother me. I think everyone has their own story to say with these things. If anyone has noticed this yeast overgrowth with their rosacea which causes flakiness and extremely disturbed skin barrier like rough sandy surface. please share your story.

Apurva, 

I have posted my results with the dermatologist visit in my blog. I have scheduled a followup visit with Dr. Harper for the end of September.