Rosacea plus possible Gastatory Face Flushing and or Erythromelagia

Hello I am new to this site and suffer with Rosacea plus I believe one of those other autoimmune diseases. No matter what I eat either my nose gets super red or chin or cheeks. There is absolutely no help available for us. I am tired of being on antibodotics and creams that hardly help or dry my skin out. You would think they would have discovered some cure by now. Rosacea is sadly overlooked and the suffering of anyone who has it. I understand everyones frustration and feelings. I dont know about you but I tried a gluten free diet, no dairy/cheese not only is that expensive it didnt help much. Does anyone else have any ideas or suggestions? I hope you are all okay and know you are not alone! [emoji171]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• Root Admin

Welcome to the RRDi community support. If you are suffering from rosacea plus gastatory face flushing* and erythromelagia, we can only empathize with your situation. Your condition is extreme and quite unusual. Not many rosaceans are suffering as much as you are suffering. Have you tried avoiding sugar and carbohydrate or at the very least reduced your intake to see if this improves your situation? Sugar is the fire that burns rosacea. It is not expensive to avoid sugar, in fact, you will save money avoiding sugar. Basically, all you do it eat high protein/fat for thirty days to see if your skin improves. Eating high protein/fat for just thirty days and drinking lots of water is not a health risk since it is only temporary. You may learn that you need more protein/fat instead of the high sugar/carbohydrate to control your rosacea. For example, you may not know how eating macaroni and cheese is a high carbohydrate meal. Our bodies are mostly water, protein and fat and carbohydrate only takes a very small percentage of our body mass. It is simply something that you can rule out to see if this helps your skin. 

In order to recommend topicals, we would need to know what topicals you have tried. Also what oral medications or vitamins/supplements or any other oral treatments have you tried? 

How long have you been suffering from this? 

* "Gustatory flushing affects both sides of the face and is associated with excessive salivation, tear production and nasal secretion with no history of parotid gland injury. This may be reproduced by chewing a chilli pepper and holding it in the mouth for 5 minutes." Flushing, DermNet NZ

Hello thank you for replying. I just ate a Blueberry Kind Bar and got red blotchy cheeks, so much for "good grains". I tried Finacea, Mirvaso, trying Soolantra all generic brands. Natural products I tried pumpkin seed extract, licorice root, Madagascar Centella, vitamins a thru all. I am not sure I have those 2 autoimmune diseases but a skin doctor told me maybe I have one of those too being I flare get red no matter what I eat and even if I dont eat I sit at work and can get red for mo reason (not stress). I am taking Doxycycline right now my doctor tried to switch me over to Minocycline which was a nightmare my skin freaked out so I am back on Doxycycline. I cant even find a local doctor to help or make a diagnosis if I have them besides Rosacea. I am premenopausal and I hear that as a excuse from doctors. I dont see why no matter what I do or dont do my skin is like this. I wil try no sugar.

• Root Admin
3 hours ago, Antonia Turner said:

Hello thank you for replying. I just ate a Blueberry Kind Bar and got red blotchy cheeks, so much for "good grains". I tried Finacea, Mirvaso, trying Soolantra all generic brands. Natural products I tried pumpkin seed extract, licorice root, Madagascar Centella, vitamins a thru all. I am not sure I have those 2 autoimmune diseases but a skin doctor told me maybe I have one of those too being I flare get red no matter what I eat and even if I dont eat I sit at work and can get red for mo reason (not stress). I am taking Doxycycline right now my doctor tried to switch me over to Minocycline which was a nightmare my skin freaked out so I am back on Doxycycline. I cant even find a local doctor to help or make a diagnosis if I have them besides Rosacea. I am premenopausal and I hear that as a excuse from doctors. I dont see why no matter what I do or dont do my skin is like this. I wil try no sugar.

blueberryKind.jpg

Not sure which Blueberry Kind bar you are eating but I found the above Nutrition Facts Label to show you how much carbohydrate is in this bar which shows 24 grams in a 35 gram serving. You can subtract the 2.5 grams of dietary fiber since fiber has no significant energy to consider.* So technically the above serving is 21.5 grams of carbohydrate in a 35 gram serving. That means this bar is 61% carbohydrate. This is a high carbohydrate food. When you carefully go through the Nutrition Facts Label for everything you eat in a day, you are probably, without a doubt eating a high carbohydrate diet. There is ample evidence that sugar/carbohydrate is a rosacea trigger in anecdotal reports. For that matter, any proposed rosacea trigger is based upon surveys or anecdotal reports, therefore, listing sugar/carbohydrate as a rosacea trigger is just as valid as any other proposed rosacea trigger, no matter who makes the list. 

So usually the question is what should you eat for thirty days to see if reducing sugar/carbohydrate improves your skin?  Eat high protein and fat. Eating high protein/fat for thirty days poses absolutely no health risk contrary to what you might learn from any source. After the thirty days you can then decide based upon what you learn whether this improves your rosacea and other issues. This will not be easy because sugar is an addiction. So you simply have to balance whether having your skin issues improve is worth the effort to get off of sugar for just thirty days. 

Also since you are taking doxycycline, you will need to build up your good flora with probiotics, which is now an accepted medical treatment for rosacea. Short term antibiotics for rosacea may be required to control rosacea, but long term antibiotic treatment for rosacea can produce some unwanted side effects and risks. You need to decide whether taking long term antibiotics are worth those side effects and risks. Probiotics offer an alternative. 

How long did you use Soolantra? Why did you stop using it? 

It is good you are taking supplements, herbals and vitamins. Have you read this post?

Don't give up, you will find a way to control your rosacea and other issues. 

*To learn why fiber is not a significant source of energy, read the article, Carbohydrate Not Essential For Human Survival

• Administrators
14 hours ago, Antonia Turner said:

May be It's not about eating blueberry bar and then getting red blotchy cheeks.sometimes the environmental factors are the triggers. because there are so many factors which trigger rosacea inflammation. genetic, environmental, your immune system, microbial flora of your skin, food triggers and many more. and the condition you described that when you do not eat and you just seat at work not taking stress even if in relaxed state you get red for no reason and this happens to me exactly. So I think the environmental factor may work here because with the onset of fall and continue with winter our body adjusts with the temperature called thermoregulation.You can read about it here :

https://irosacea.org/forums/topic/4120-autumn-and-rosacea-flare-ups/?tab=comments#comment-5278

Could you please tell me when did your rosacea condition start? you are new to this condition or it's been a long?

May be It's not about eating blueberry bar and then getting red blotchy cheeks.sometimes the environmental factors are the triggers. because there are so many factors which trigger rosacea inflammation. genetic, environmental, your immune system, microbial flora of your skin, food triggers and many more. and the condition you described that when you do not eat and you just seat at work not taking stress even if in relaxed state you get red for no reason and this happens to me exactly. So I think the environmental factor may work here because with the onset of fall and continue with winter our body adjusts with the temperature called thermoregulation.You can read about it here :
https://irosacea.org/forums/topic/4120-autumn-and-rosacea-flare-ups/?tab=comments#comment-5278
Could you please tell me when did your rosacea condition start? you are new to this condition or it's been a long?
Hello Apurva, I have had Rosacea since my 20's, I probably saw a skin doctor in my 30's and been on Doyxcycline for over 10 years I believe. It's been a frustrating blur but in a nutshell too long. I have a fan at work I turn on no matter how cold I am to cool down my flares. I get red at home too not just work but atleast at home its easier to deal with. I am sorry you are dealing with this too, I feel your pain believe me! They say Rosacea mainly affects fair skin, I am part spanish and german I have olive skin so that theory isn't true. Tell me about your history if you wish.

Everyone on here and in this support group should post something on here, in a world with people who dont have Rosacea and doctors giving you pills and cream saying there is no cure which I heard from my skin doctor often, this is a way to vent and relate and meet.

• Administrators
On 1/17/2020 at 4:41 PM, Antonia Turner said:

Hello Apurva, I have had Rosacea since my 20's, I probably saw a skin doctor in my 30's and been on Doyxcycline for over 10 years I believe. It's been a frustrating blur but in a nutshell too long. I have a fan at work I turn on no matter how cold I am to cool down my flares. I get red at home too not just work but atleast at home its easier to deal with. I am sorry you are dealing with this too, I feel your pain believe me! They say Rosacea mainly affects fair skin, I am part spanish and german I have olive skin so that theory isn't true. Tell me about your history if you wish.

Ok so it has been a long journey for you with respect to rosacea. Yes this theory does not go completely with only fair skin people get rosacea. There are some published research on rosacea in skin of color people. I am an Indian and I also have olive skin with yellow undertone and the bizarre thing is Indian skin is something very acclimatized to sun rays because of its extreme hot and humid climate and we do not get easily anything related to skin but when I got this condition five years ago it was unknown to me and initially it was in an exaggerated condition difficult to control and handle but gradually I understood with trial and error considering my diet what I eat what I apply on my face and environmental and immune conditions. Now still it remits and relapses with frequent episodes but now I know how to manage it.