Sign in to follow this  
Admin

Horse Paste for Rosacea?

61aguwSR3UL._SX679_.jpg
"Rosacea appears to be the first human skin disease to be treated with a veterinary medication....Doctors and researchers have growing concerns about the widespread use of this homegrown treatment." [1]

A typical example is a post by Lori Durham, a poster at the Facebook Rosacea Tips and Support Group,  who writes, "I did a full 12 week course of horse paste and yes if you don't dilute it with moisturizer, some do experience headaches. I did not. I also took it by the recommendation of my primary care and dermatologist. My dermatologist recommends it to all of his patients that can not afford Soolantra or have health insurance. He has had many patients that have had success stories with it. And says that horse paste and Soolantra are basically the same thing except hp is a tad stronger and the base ingredients are not as toxic as Soolantra. If you want to try it, I suggest doing a test spot first for a couple days."

Jamie MacDonald‎, Rosacea Tips and Support Group, Facebook, posts, "So I went for my routine Botox session and the staff was amazed at how clear my face was from 3 months ago. My doc was so intrigued by me telling her it was horse paste. She was in shock by the results. She took me around the office showing everyone that this horse paste had cleared my skin. She said she is going to tell a few of her patients about it on the down low! She very excited for me!"

You can read about all this in a Reddit group r/rosacea or in the Facebook Group Rosacea (English) and this is spreading in other groups. Therefore, the rosaceans who are trying this over-the-counter treatment for horses on their rosacea while reporting success will be the first guinea pigs in this group who have valiantly gone where no rosaceans have gone before and will eventually in the future report back any of the side effects and long term results or risks associated with using a veterinary oral medication for horses on their rosacea topically. It would be ironic that using a horse paste for rosacea that costs a few dollars is just as valid as using Soolantra which has cost millions of dollars for Galderma to go through the hoops to get FDA approval for human use topically. The results are speaking for themselves, horse paste is improving rosacea and the news is spreading like wildfire. 

Inactive Ingredients
As Tom Busby, mentions in a post at RF referred to in the next comment in this thread (scroll to the next comment) that a valid point is, "The biggest problem with horse paste is that no one knows what the other 98.13% of the ingredients are." The MSDS lists from some brands of horse paste usually do not list the inactive ingredients but some do. We have been investigating and the results are below. 

AGRI-MECTIN (ivermectin) Paste 1.87% Inactive Ingredients
The MSDS sheet for AGRI-MECTIN (ivermectin) Paste 1.87% are the following: 
Corn Oil, Polysorbate 80, Apple Flavor, and Aerosil. 

horsepaste.png

Durvet Inactive Ingredients
The box on Durvet clearly says the active ingredient is 1.87% Ivermectin. The MSDS sheet for Durvet Ivermectin Paste does NOT list the inactive ingredients, nor does the detail sheet provided by Durvet. This sheet provided by Bimeda, the parent company of Durvet, simply says the inactive ingredients are Proprietary Component A (80.98%), Proprietary Component B (7.65%), and Proprietary Component C (7.5%). At least we know there are three inactive ingredients but what these ingredients are exactly is still a mystery. 

Horse Health Equine Ivermectin Paste 1.87%
The MSDS sheet for Horse Health Equine Ivermectin Paste 1.87% doesn't show the inactive ingredients. 

Eqvalan
However, in the third post in this thread we now have the inactive ingredient list for another horse paste, Eqvalan. 

noromectin.gif

Noromectin is available in the UK 

Cost
Durvet Ivermectin costs less than $5 for 6 grams (83 cents/gram) while Soolantra costs $390 for 30 grams ($13/gram). This should be used topically on rosacea, NOT orally. Horse Paste brand price varies but typically between $5 and $12 per dose. You can save money if you purchase multiple doses. 

Do It Yourself
ElaineA has a Homemade Ivermectin Cream Recipe

End Notes

[1] Articles on the internet from reputable sources are publishing news on this subject. The quote is from the first article below. 

People are turning to medication made for horses to treat rosacea, and dermatologists are concerned, J.K. Trotter, Insider

Br J Dermatol. 2018 Dec 30. doi: 10.1111/bjd.17540.
Misuse of veterinary wormers in self-medication of rosacea and scabies.
Hellen R, Ní Raghallaigh S.

Here are other articles mentioning this subject from other reputable sources:
"In a recent bulletin in the peer-reviewed British Journal of Dermatology, two Irish dermatologists, Rebecca Hellen and Siona Ni Raghallaigh, described a patient who 'enquired about the use of horse wormer as a cheaper alternative.' "
People are turning to medication made for horses to treat rosacea, and dermatologists are concerned, J.K. TROTTER, Business Insider

Two dermatologists are quoted as concerned about using horse paste in the following article: 

People are treating their rosacea with cheap horse medicine, and dermatologists are saying, 'Whoa!', by Bailey King, FEBRUARY 06, 2019. Philly Voice

"Physicians are growing concerned about horse paste’s rising popularity. Although it’s cheaper, it hasn’t been tested on humans, and it contains almost double the dosage of ivermectin (1.87 percent versus Soolantra’s 1 percent). Margo Weishar, MD, a cosmetic dermatologist based outside of Philadelphia, says that horse paste “may be irritating, cause allergy, or worse when applied to skin.”
People are Using Horse Paste to Treat Rosacea, Julie Morse on February 8, 2019, dermRounds

"Dermatologists are alarmed with the growing popularity of the inexpensive horse medicine. People cannot be blamed because healthcare is becoming very expensive."
Instead Of Makeup, People Are Treating Rosacea With Horse Medicine, Christopher Levay, MiseryWatch

71hRD3ZtUGL._SX679_.jpg

eqvalan.png

duramectin.png

The data sheet for Durvet DuraMectin Ivermectin Paste 1.87% does NOT list the inactive ingredients:
duramectinMSDS.pdf

Three Doses                  Six Doses                   12 Doses

[2] Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol. 2016; 9: 71–77.
New developments in the treatment of rosacea – role of once-daily ivermectin cream
Leah A Cardwell, Hossein Alinia, Sara Moradi Tuchayi, and Steven R Feldman

Tom Busby, SD poster extraordinare at RF, mentioned in a post on this subject at RF, "an alternative source of ivermectin, on eBay" which is ivermectin powder. I asked Tom whether this would be a good idea since it seems a lot safer to use the horse paste than have to concoct a paste with grain alcohol and his comment is, "horse paste is fairly expensive for a really tiny amount of product.... I have to assume that someone who has some experience formulating hot emulsions (oil in water) could make a non-greasy cream with this ivermectin powder."

You might prefer the horse paste for a trial run before purchasing a chemistry set to make this. And of course you would have to know the formulae to be able to take a gram of ivermectin and dilute it to 1% with grain alcohol which is 100 parts grain alcohol to 1 part ivermectin and be able to dissolve it correctly into a cream base. Most rosaceans are not into a laboratory approach to treatment preferring a pill or a topical than experimenting with such treatments in a lab coat. But, of course, this is the internet, and guess what? Watch Mr. Wizard concoct a new rosacea treatment on YouTube (maybe we will hear reports of this). Also, if you haven't heard of the new TXA treatment, it also requires concocting a rosacea treatment yourself by purchasing powder from Amazon or your local chemical store. 

As mentioned earlier in this thread, one of the issues with using an oral horse paste TOPICALLY for rosacea sufferers is usually there is no inactive ingredient list to see what is actually in the paste or gel. However, one poster at Reddit found the list for one of the products, Eqvalan, which is listed for your convenience below:

Eqvalan Oral Paste for Horses Ingredients: 
Ivermectin: 1.87% w/w. 
Titanium Dioxide (E171) 2.0% w/w.
Hyprolose
Hydrogenated Castor Oil
Propylene Glycol

Source
Eqvalan_SPC_214477.pdf

Link for the above:
http://www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/productinformationdatabase/SPC_Documents/SPC_214477.DOC

Eqvalan MSDS

EqvalanMSDS.pdf

Link for the above:
https://www.statelinetack.com/ContentFiles/Associated_Content/EqvalanMSDS.pdf

If anyone finds the ingredients in any other horse paste/gel please post in this thread. 

eqvalan.png