Brady Barrows

Rosacea Newbies

If you are newly diagnosed, post your question in this category or in the FAQs that are already posted. Ask about anything. However, if you browse the FAQs, usually your question has already been asked so you might want to browse through the FAQs for a while and see if your question is posted already.

It has been stated in some papers on rosacea that when treatment for acne exacerbates the condition that a diagnosis of rosacea may be a consideration (more info on diagnosing rosacea). Rosacea skin is usually described as sensitive so sometimes it is best to be careful not to use too many treatments at the same time since you may be making it worse. Sometimes you may need to let your skin heal on its own for a few days to allow your skin some time to recover from the treatments which may have done more harm than good.

There isn't one treatment for rosacea since what condition you may have could result in a different diagnosis later, such as a rosacea mimic. Rosacea has been described by one doctor as "probably a collection of many different diseases that are lumped together inappropriately." There is even a controversy on the subtype classification of rosacea. The RRDi has endorsed the superior Phenotype Classification of rosacea. 

Most rosacea sufferers follow the advice of a physician. You should at the very least be sure to get a proper diagnosis of what your skin condition is. Some who have followed the advice of their physician are successfully treated and remain happy campers. Usually these patients never post in forums like this one, since they have moved on in life and follow the advice of their physician and have their rosacea controlled with prescription treatment. If you have never been diagnosed and decide to see a dermatologist you may want to know what to ask your physician

Others, who join this forum, usually are frustrated with the treatment offered and find rosacea confusing and a bewilderment. Some others claim that this isn't the case at all and have rosacea all under control. 

Our suggestion is to just take a few days to let your skin heal on its own and only apply cool water to your skin. Browse and read the posts in this forum to educate yourself on what others are doing to control their rosacea. You will quickly discover that what works for one rosacea sufferer does not necessarily work for another. There are a number of alternative and non prescription (over the counter) treatments for rosacea that some report work for them.

Try using one (or two) treatments at a time since it is difficult to know what is working and not working for your skin. Using more than one treatment, especially three or more will be extremely difficult to decide what treatment is actually working. 

Others have tried trigger avoidance, which is an accepted medical treatment for rosacea, and is usually always mentioned by physicians.

Finally, post questions in the different threads and also post what results you are experiencing. Others with similar experiences may help you. Be positive and try to remain calm, you will get your rosacea under control, as many in this forum have reported. If you are concerned about joining the RRDi all you need to join and post is an email address and you can hide behind a cryptic display name of your choosing so no one knows who you are. Read this post if you still have concerns about your privacy. 

We encourage you to post and become actively involved with the RRDi forum.

No smilie with a red face to choose from! :wub:

firstly, thank you to RRDi for having the vision to make available this wonderful resource for those of us with rosacea. We are a shy lot aren't we? have to say, I'm disappointed to arrive here and find that there are no conversation threads.

Iam only very recently diagnosed, though have been struggling with an increasing facial rash with skin changes for the past 10 years and had been reading adn self assessing myself as having rosacea for the last 4 years. I also have other symptoms looking very auto immunish and so my GP had thought the rash to be more likely lupus. a swag of blood tests have returned clear on this and the dermatologist's diagnosis is definately rosacea with seborrheic dermatitis -so that is something of a relief.

Iam using 'Finacea' (azaelic acid) to treat demodex mite and 'Head and Shoulders' dandruff shampoo on my face for the dermatitis i guess. i have chosen at this stage not to take 6 weeks antibiotics.

i would really like to hear about others experiences on this type of program. How long did yiou need to use the azaelic acid? Stings my face like crazy but I am seeing the improvement already after only 3 days. has anyone succesfully taken the antibiotics? what happened after the 6 weeks? Have you needed to repeat the program?

What kinds of alternative, holistic treatments are out there?

Thanks and best wishes

Flash

Welcome Flash,

For some reason the 300 plus members of the forum just don't post here even though I have set up some detailed categories for them to post. I am hoping that some day this particular area of the form:

RRDI > Public Forum> Members Forum > Rosacea Topics

will become popular and members will find this an incredible resources for rosacea topics.

As to any of the treatments you list below I have never tried them.

No smilie with a red face to choose from! :Hug:

firstly, thank you to RRDi for having the vision to make available this wonderful resource for those of us with rosacea. We are a shy lot aren't we? have to say, I'm disappointed to arrive here and find that there are no conversation threads.

Iam only very recently diagnosed, though have been struggling with an increasing facial rash with skin changes for the past 10 years and had been reading adn self assessing myself as having rosacea for the last 4 years. I also have other symptoms looking very auto immunish and so my GP had thought the rash to be more likely lupus. a swag of blood tests have returned clear on this and the dermatologist's diagnosis is definately rosacea with seborrheic dermatitis -so that is something of a relief.

Iam using 'Finacea' (azaelic acid) to treat demodex mite and 'Head and Shoulders' dandruff shampoo on my face for the dermatitis i guess. i have chosen at this stage not to take 6 weeks antibiotics.

i would really like to hear about others experiences on this type of program. How long did yiou need to use the azaelic acid? Stings my face like crazy but I am seeing the improvement already after only 3 days. has anyone succesfully taken the antibiotics? what happened after the 6 weeks? Have you needed to repeat the program?

Thanks and best wishes

Flash

No smilie with a red face to choose from! :Hug:

Thanks and best wishes

Flash

Flash, I have used Finacea before, and didn't feel like it did any better than any of the other topical creams I've tried. Which is to say they didn't fix the problem. The only success I've had in keeping Rosacea at bay is antibiotics. I'm currently taking Doxycycline, and it has worked really well. I'm taking 50mgs once a day. I still have occasional outbreaks of bumps on my nose (awful), but they're few and far between. When that happens, I take an extra 50mg tablet per day for 3 or 4 days, and it clears right up. All according to Dr's recommendations.

Doxycycline....according to my Dr..... is much better to take than Tetracycline, because it doesn't interfere with the antibiotics you might need to take to cure an infection. Perhaps the kind folks Drs. on this forum can comment on this.

If the Finacea is working for you, by all means you should keep using it. Maybe you won't need any antibiotics. Do what works for YOU.

Best wishes,

Tom

I was diagnosed with Rosacea about 3 years ago (having had symptons for probably 3 years prior to this)by a Dermatologist and was prescribed Doxycycline, which I tried for a couple of months and stopped when I experienced an irritated oesophagus and no real relief from the red burning face and stinging eyes.

It has been an interesting and frustrating journey <_<

To date I have made lots of lifestyle changes ....

Stopping smoking

Starting yoga and meditation classes

Dietary changes include restricting dairy, wheat and egg foods that I have been advised that I have intolerances to

Adding supplements of Omega 3, Linseed (Flaxseed), Barley Grass, Lecithin, Quercitin / Vitamin C

My symptons do seem to have reduced slightly, although the facial redness seems to be getting more noticeable. Other than the above lifestyle changes I haven't tried any products or any medications.

I recently came across a website www.rosadyn.com, has anyone used their product called Rosadyn?

Looking forward to hearing your comments .... many thanks

Hi Flash, I have been on antiobiotics for 6/8 weeks and have not seen any results. The only minor result I have seen is perhaps the postules are a little less red. Otherwise, I have postules with whiteheads in the middle on my upper lip, on the chin area and eyebrows. They are also spreading under the eyes and on my nose as well as along the nasal label folds. It is very disheartening to take the antiobiotics, plus faithfully apply the elidel and 2% metronida and clinderm cream daily. I had a bioposy done and that's how it was determined that I had Rosacea, mine must be acne rosacea. I have heard that antiobiotics take a long time to work, but I'm beginning to have my doubts. I certainly do not want to be on antiobiotics for any long periods as I am sure that will affect the immune system even more. I am trying to eat yogurt on a daily basis to counter attack any adverse affects of the antiobiotics.

Once, I am finished with the course of the antiobiotics, I would like to source natural methods that work. I'm wondering if any other members can share their experiences of what works and what doesn't.

Sab